1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beta minus decay

1. Oct 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    in the first photo of my note , it says that the product nucleus has Z electrons (not Z+1) electrons ,
    whereas for the 2nd part of my note , it says that the atomic masses of the product nucleus( which has A nucelon mumber and Z+1 proton number) , it has one extra orbitting electrons

why the 2nd part of the note is different from the first one? the product nucleus has Z+1 electrons or Z electrons?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think they're trying to say the same thing, but the second is very poorly worded. The notation contributes to the problem.
    ##^A_{Z+1}Y## in the equation they both quote represents an ion, i.e. It is missing an electron. How are you supposed to know this from the notation? Shouldn't it be something like ##^A_{Z+1}Y^+##?
    The first text treats it as representing an ion throughout. The second text seems to recognise the ambiguity; the references after the equation interpret it as the un-ionised atom, so needs to subtract off the mass of the electron when calculating the mass loss. I.e., ##m_y## is the mass of the un-ionised atom.

4. Oct 11, 2014 #3
    ##^A_{Z+1}Y## represent positive ion am i right? but not ##^A_{Z+1}Y^+## ... the product nuclei has Z+1 proton but the number of electrons remained the same.... so for ##^A_{Z+1}Y## , it's a positive ion... am i right?

i knew this from the first photo.

5. Oct 11, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Forget about the beta decay for the moment. Y represents some element. The notation ##^A_{Z+1}Y## should represent an atom of element Y, having atomic mass A and Z+1 protons. In the absence of any indication as to whether it is ionised, one would assume it therefore has Z+1 electrons. The right hand side of the equation should therefore read ##^A_{Z+1}Y^++e^-##.
    Anyway, do you now understand that the two texts are trying to say the same thing?

6. Oct 11, 2014 #5
    alright, can you please look at the 2nd photo?
    i can understand why the mass defect (for atomic mass) is mx -( my-me) -me , why not mx -( my+me) -me ?

before subtracting the mass of the 'extra orbitting electron' , why the mass defect is calculated by mx-my-me (just like nuclear mass at the top part ) ??

7. Oct 11, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I wrote, that text is taking my to be the mass of a 'complete' (un-ionised) atom of Y. Since it is ionised (+), its mass is my-me. The wording in the text is atrocious, and I'm not surprised you are confused. Is it a translation?

8. Oct 11, 2014 #7
    i will try my best to understand . i am not sure whether it's the translation or not. but i english is not my first languange...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted