Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Betelgeuse supanova tonight?

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    Hello all i'm here in the uk just lookin at Betelgeuse and for some reason it looks redder tonight has anyone any idea why? thx

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Betelgeuse looks red every night...

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    Betelgeuse is a red star... it always looks red because it's surface temp is quite cool.

When Betelgeuse supernova's, we will know it. It will be brighter than a full moon due to it's relatively close proximity with Earth.

Editing because I just noticed you said 'redder'. Betelgeuse will likely get more red over time, but that's not a change we'd be able to observe with the naked eye. If it's looking redder to you, I'd assume it's just atmospheric conditions where you're at or possibly light pollution in your location. Or, your mind is just playing tricks on you.

5. Mar 4, 2009 #4
    Guys, I think he means that it's redder than usual.
    It might be evolving?
    It's only a few million years old, but it does evolve faster than others because of it's high mass. But I have to admit, to be seen from 640 light years away, it is pretty bright. :)

6. Mar 4, 2009 #5

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Right, it's far more probably that the increased redness is a function of atmospheric conditions or some terrestrial source rather than any actual change in the star. It's notoriously difficult to predict when a star will nova, and when it does, things usually happen very fast, so there's no way of knowing "oh, Betelgeuse is gonna nova in the next 48 hours, keep your eyes peeled."

Heck, could've already done it and we wouldn't know yet.

7. Mar 5, 2009 #6
    I don't think in a human life anyone can see a red giant becoming redder just a bit. You saw it redder that night probably because of the atmosphere. I myself one everning saw quite a red moon and it turned out there was a road construction several miles away.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  8. Mar 5, 2009 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think we are safe. The rotational axis is not pointed in our direction so we need not fear a gamma burst. It will. however, be very, very bright when it goes supernova [which is very likely in the next few million years]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  9. Mar 5, 2009 #8

Not tonight, but in 27 days from now on 3 am Eastern time. Don't miss it!

10. Mar 6, 2009 #9

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure if this is why you saw it as redded than usual but http://www.aavso.org/vstar/vsots/1200.shtml" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Mar 7, 2009 #10
    variable star...

Reference:
    http://www.aavso.org/vstar/vsots/1200.shtml" [Broken]

12. Mar 7, 2009 #11

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But you are not likely to notice a night to night difference, as it varies from a magnitude of 0.3 to 1.2 with a peak to peak cycle of 14 years or so. It is somewhat of a slacker when compared to a star like Mira, which can go from a magnitude of 10.1 to 2 in 100 days, actually going from being not visible to the naked eye to easily noticeable to the naked eye. (It then takes 200 days to dim back down to 10.1)

13. Mar 8, 2009 #12
    Thank you for all your replies, its just that it seemed a lot redder than usual that night and i was watching for a few hours its been overcast since so not had a chance to see it recenctly, thx again all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook