Solve Bethe Formula: Find dE/dx Units for Particle in Material

• Thread starter jbb88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about using the Bethe formula to find dE/dx for a particle through a material. The speaker is having trouble with the units and asks for clarification on how to convert them. They mention using the particle data book for reference and figure out how to use the delta part of the equation. They also mention the small effect of the delta term for high energy cases.
jbb88
Im trying to use the Bethe formula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethe_formula) to find dE/dx for a particle through a material, but I am not getting the units to work out. In the part of the formula with (e^2/4PiEpsilon)^2, how should I convert this correctly? Those units are J*m, so can I just multiply by 100 to get it to J*cm and divide by 1x10^-6 to get it into MeV*cm?

Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance, wikipedia's formula looks suspicious, although they may be equivalent, I always use : the particle data book
You may find your coefficient in table 27.1 if you really want wikipedia's formula.

Thanks, ill use that. The one thing I am not sure of is the delta part of that equation. How do I figure out what to use for delta(beta gamma)?

If you need this term at high energy, it is defined (and discussed) in 27.2.2
Also, look at "without delta" curve label in 27.1
For [itex]\beta\gamma[/itex]<10 the effect is rather small

1. What is the Bethe formula?

The Bethe formula is an empirical equation used to calculate the energy loss of a charged particle as it passes through a material. It takes into account the density and atomic number of the material, as well as the charge and velocity of the particle.

2. How do you use the Bethe formula to find dE/dx units?

To find the dE/dx units for a particle in a material using the Bethe formula, you first need to input the relevant parameters, such as the material density and atomic number, and the charge and velocity of the particle. Then, you can use the equation dE/dx = -K * (Z/A) * (z^2/β^2) * ln(1-(β^2)) to calculate the energy loss per unit length.

3. What units are used for dE/dx in the Bethe formula?

The units for dE/dx in the Bethe formula are typically given in MeV/cm or GeV/cm, depending on the energy and scale of the particles being studied.

4. How accurate is the Bethe formula?

The Bethe formula is considered to be a relatively accurate empirical equation for calculating energy loss in materials, especially for high-energy particles. However, it may not be as accurate for low-energy particles or in certain materials, and may require adjustments or corrections in those cases.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Bethe formula?

While the Bethe formula is a useful tool for calculating energy loss in materials, it does have some limitations. It is most accurate for high-energy particles and may require modifications for low-energy particles or in certain materials. It also does not take into account factors such as multiple scattering or nuclear interactions, which may affect the accuracy of the results.