1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Better Analysis Book

1. Jun 15, 2004 #1
    Which is the more thorough more rigorous book? Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis, or Lang's Undergraduate Analysis?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2004 #2
    I haven't really looked at Lang's book, but I think Rudin's is generally accepted as the most rigourous of the rigourous. I liked Pfaffenberger/Johnsonbaugh's better though. It's fairly rigourous and is better to learn from, imo. It also has a much better treatment of Fourier series & inner-product spaces than Rudin's. Rudin's only sort of tells you how to find the Fourier coefficients while Pfaffenberger's gives Fourier series 'with all the plumbing' (with all the linear algebra & inner product spaces stuff that goes with it).

4. Jul 22, 2004 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have read many of Langs book, but not this one, and taught from Rudin. It is true, Rudin is considered highly rigorous but often this is not intended as a compliment. Lang's books in general are both rigorous and insightful. I.e. Lang makes things look easy whereas Rudin makes them seem hard. I greatly prefer anything Lang writes to Rudin in general. But I suggest Apostol's Mathematical Analysis as a possibility. Certainly his Calculus is my favorite rigorous introduction to calc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?