1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Better degree combo eng/math bs/ms or just math

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    Hi, I posted this question for discussion before but without success, so I will try again. I am unsure of the undergrad route to pursue, mostly because of an ever unstable job market, as well as my indecision between engineer or teacher. I am currently an undergrad in mechanical engineering with math minor. Ultimately a teaching job at my local community college would be appealing due to hours, stress level, and good pay. But there is not a guarantee I will get in, or even be good at public speaking/teaching, although I am good at tutoring small groups.

But my current plan at this point, mostly for it's backup reasons, are to get an undergrad in mech. eng. and then pursue a masters in mathematics, with the masters allowing me to teach at college level. I've had some second opinions and thoughts though of just doing a math undergrad and then math masters because it is faster, but I'm not sure if this is best strategy.

I would like some advice regarding which is a better all around life decision, undergrad engineering with math masters, or math undergrad and masters? Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted