Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Better if we have a shoutbox

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    I think it would be better if we have a shoutbox on physicsforums...
    would help in faster communication in some cases..
    What u think about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2
    Re: Shoutbox

Ordinarily I'd be against it. But you've made me think of a possible good way to implement it. Stay tuned.

4. Aug 3, 2009 #3

Ya..thanks..Im right here...waiting!

5. Aug 7, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is a shoutbox?

6. Aug 7, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It's a box on the front page where you can just type or "shout" something to everyone else whos on the front page. It's like a mini-chat room except it's not a chat room, it's just a place where people go "hey everyone" or "I just ate a cheeseburger" or "Moon blew up, watch the news".

7. Aug 7, 2009 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh good grief! I suppose as long as it's collapsible like other things on the front page so you don't have to look at it if you don't like it, the Twitter addicts can have their PF version.

8. Aug 7, 2009 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

LOL. More clutter on the front page. (I'd much rather have the "jump to forum" menu at the bottom of each page. Like we used to.)

9. Aug 7, 2009 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I forgot about that, it's been gone for a few years now! It was a pretty useful feature.

10. Aug 9, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed! Then I could ignore the cluttered front page entirely if we got our forum jump feature back. If we had that, I wouldn't much care what else got added to the front page. I guess my comments in the few feedback threads I've posted in this weekend probably make it clear that my own preference is clean pages with minimal other "stuff" besides what I'm trying to read. :blushing:

11. Aug 9, 2009 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm tending towards: Shoutbox = entropy machine

12. Aug 9, 2009 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about this: implement a shout box for 1 week, then have a poll for members to vote on keeping it or scrapping it.

13. Aug 9, 2009 #12

Evo

I'm trying to think of ANY reason this would be a useful feature. I am trying to think of ANY reason this would make any sense at all.

I also want the "jump to forum" feature back. That was useful.

14. Aug 9, 2009 #13

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can think of 2 reasons not to do it.

1. It's another opportunity for new members to post homework or other questions inappropriately. I look at the blogs and library enough to know this would happen.

2. It could become a chat room, which we already have, if it's overused. 5 minutes after a post is made, it could have scrolled off the page. This may or may not happen, it depends on how frequent the posts are.

A 1 week trial would answer any doubts whether these concerns are justified. I'm pretty certain about #1 though.

15. Aug 9, 2009 #14

#1 would be taken care of because it would be for staff (hh, sa) and gold members

16. Aug 9, 2009 #15

Okay, nifty. But I don't think I quite understand the purpose of it, though. Surely it has the potential to increase the cost of this place. And, if that is a fact, couldn't those resources be better used elsewhere? Assuming, of course, that it's as senseless a feature as Pengwuino describes it as.

17. Aug 11, 2009 #16

Can we have an idea of what the new possible good way was??

I just wanted this feature for faster communication....

Like if I wanted a particular member/s[experts in a particular field] to immediately pop into my thread ...for some discussion in there ...a shoutbox can be useful...some members disable their PMs so you have to wait untill they look your new reply and then Re-reply ..which sometimes even takes 4-5 hours currently....with a shoutbox..the chances of member replying immediately in thread are much higher..I think..:biggrin:

I dont think I came with this sugestion for "Greetings....hi..bye...cheers..."...:smile:

18. Aug 11, 2009 #17

Evo

It is very unlikely that an expert would be checking the 'shoutbox'. The people interested in helping with homework do so, at their leisure. You should never pm another member or leave a visitor message requesting home work help. Requesting homework help would not be allowed in the shoutbox.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  19. Aug 11, 2009 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

But they aren't the ones asking for it. Are they?

20. Aug 19, 2009 #19

I'm really sorry..but I don't find any reason why PMing them for poping into my thread for helping on my doubts isn't "Ok"...:confused:

21. Aug 19, 2009 #20

Doc Al

There's no problem with PMing someone, of course, as in "Could you please take another look at my thread?". But all homework help belongs in the homework help forums, not in PMs or visitor messages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook