1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Better integration strategy?

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    I'm doing a HW problem that involved trying to find Fourier series. I know how to do it, but I'm really bothered by the fact that I have to do so much trigonometric integration by parts. my question is, is there any better way to solve the problem:

<int,indef.,dt>{ sin(a*t)*cos(b*t) } or is the only way to chug along with the two messy layers of integration by parts?

also, it seems like i'm missing something: how do you write pretty-print equations in posts?

edit: i should add, that the problem is asking for a fourier series for a half-wave rectified sine, but that isn't vital to the question

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you concerned with the indefinite integral? Usually one integrates over a half-period interval in order to take advantage of the orthogonality of sine and cosine.

See my signature.

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    gabbagabbahey,
    thanks for the reply. I'm only concerned because it seems like I'm doing it the hard way - after 1.5 pages of math, I'm starting to feel like I'm mowing the lawn with a pair of nail clippers (or mopping a gym floor with a toothbrush, take your pick of metaphor). I just wanted to make sure that by parts is the only reasonable way of doing it and I'm not missing any good shortcut.

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook