1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BEWARE completely confused

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    BEWARE**completely confused

Hey guys i have a physics test tomarrow an i just need a few confusing things cleared.

1)v=d/t-------my thing with that is i remeber my teacher saying that we would need algebra to solve this pproblem but im confused on how to do so...an example would be great!

2)also im doing this pendulum project an in my lab my teacher said look in through the physics book an find a equation that deals with the lenth and speed of the pendulum ..i dont have my book yet so i loooked on line and i saw this really lond equation..so i told him an he said its a simple one an that im not looking hard enough..

*********THANKS*********

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: BEWARE**completely confused

1) What problem? You haven't stated any problem. Basically, given any two of those three quantities, you can calculate the third. The algebra is trivial, rearranging the equation to solve for the unknown.

2) I googled "Simple Pendulum", and this was the FIRST hit:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/pend.html

You might want to pick up a copy of your book. ;)

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    Re: BEWARE**completely confused

1) If you have Velocity and distance, you can solve the equation V = d/t by multiplying both sides by t and then dividing both sides by V.

For example, If you wanna find out how long it takes to travel 10 meters at a velocity of 5 m/s, the answer would obviously be two seconds. Simple Algebra.

2) What exactly are you trying to find about the pendulum? It's period? It's speed at a certain point? There are several different equations you could use depending on what it is you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?