1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beyond PNT

1. Aug 23, 2006 #1
    In fact if PNT says that the series [tex] \sum_{p<x}1 \sim Li(x) [/tex]

My question is if we can't conjecture or prove that:

[tex] \sum_{p<x}p^{q} \sim Li(x^{q+1}) \sim \pi(x^{q+1}) [/tex] q>0

In asymptotic notation.....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course we can conjecture it, Jose (I presume this a new account for eljose). Have *you* tried to prove it? Does it even seem reasonable? Have you run it through a computer at all? Why do you even think it might be true?

4. Aug 23, 2006 #3

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Aug 24, 2006 #4
    The main key is that according to the manual..."Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables"..the integral:

[tex] \int_{2}^{x} dt \frac{t^n }{log(t)}= A+log(log(x))+\sum_{k>0}(n+1)^{k}\frac{log^{k}}{k. k!} [/tex]

Using the properties of the logarithms you get that the series above is just Li(x^{n+1}) , in fact using "this" conjecture and prime number theorem you get the (known) asymptotic result:

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{N}p_i \sim (1/2)N^2 log(N) [/tex]

for the case n=-1, you get that the "Harmonic prime series" diverges as log(log(x)) ...although the constant i give is a bit different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?