Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beyond the blackhole

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1
    Its said there up on the universe, blackhole which even can trap the whole light entering through it, exists. But if anyone, I mean any living things, trapped there....I'm confused how can they go beyond the blackhole...or will be they trapped, if so what happen their bodies?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the black hole sucks light down, then it will suck down anything else too ... so why wouldn't living things get sucked down. Once sucked in, where else would they go?

The main trouble is surviving the journey - the gravitational gradient close to the event horizon can be steep enough to rip macroscopic objects like living being apart. However, supermassive black holes have a much gentler gradient so, in principle, a living being could go find out what is actually there where the Einstein equations have a singularity ... sort of.

Of course, the next problem is getting back home to tell anyone what they found.

Caution: I've been a bit glib. For details see...
    http://www.jimhaldenwang.com/black_hole.htm
    ... that should cover a lot of what you are thinking about.

Note: it is not clear what you mean by "beyond a black hole" ... I can travel "beyond" a black hole just by flying past it but I suspect that's not what you mean. Are you thinking of the black hole as a kind of passageway?

4. Jul 8, 2013 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a pop version of the Schwarzschild metric where it is assumed an observationally finite universe has an event horizon. This is an extremely misleading and unsupported conclusion.

5. Jul 8, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Which is? Context is everything.
    You mean the "sucking" thing? Yes but it's not fatal. I have done this before.
    Or do you mean something in post #1?

@Sudip Prathan:
    You may find the following more accessible ...
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/b...you-dont-know-about-black-holes/#.Udpei6Htm28

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  6. Jul 8, 2013 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, post 1. We posted almost at the same time.

7. Jul 9, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Cool :)
    Need to hear from OP now ... hello Sudip Prathan, any of this useful to you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook