Bezier curves, tangent angles, and arc length

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of finding information on Bezier curves and the need to calculate the length and tangent angle of these curves with known control points. The method of parameterizing the curve is discussed as well as the requirement for a ##C^k## condition on the component functions to use the standard arc length formula.
ZippyDee
I am trying to do some calculations that involve cubic Bezier curves. I've been looking all over the place for information about Bezier curves, but I can't find anything that has what I'm looking for.

I need to be able to figure out the length of any curve with known control points (approximations are fine). And then I need to be able to get the tangent angle at any point on the curve.

I really have no idea how to figure this out, and most of the equations on lots of math websites and in the wikipedia entry have lots of complex equations that are only explained using terms that someone who already knew what they were looking at would understand...

Thanks in advance!
-Zippy Dee
Ted Newman

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If a Bezier curve is parameterized then calculation of tangent or curve lengths should be easy. So the question is how to parameterize it. This leads to the question how the Bezier curve is given.

Likes WWGD
The length would then be given by the standard arc length formula, which would require I think, some ##C^k## condition on the component functions.

1. What is a Bezier curve?

A Bezier curve is a type of mathematical curve commonly used in computer graphics and design. It is defined by a set of control points that determine its shape and smoothness.

2. What are tangent angles in a Bezier curve?

Tangent angles in a Bezier curve refer to the angle at which the curve changes direction at a particular point. They are important for controlling the smoothness and direction of the curve.

3. How are tangent angles calculated in a Bezier curve?

Tangent angles in a Bezier curve are calculated using the slope of the curve at a particular point. This can be done using mathematical formulas or through graphical methods.

4. Why are tangent angles important in Bezier curves?

Tangent angles play a crucial role in the shape and smoothness of a Bezier curve. They help determine the direction and curvature of the curve, allowing for precise control over its appearance.

5. Can tangent angles be adjusted in a Bezier curve?

Yes, tangent angles can be adjusted by manipulating the control points of the curve. By changing the position of the control points, the tangent angles and ultimately the shape of the curve can be altered.