marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
of course! should have thought of that,
thanks

wolram
Gold Member
http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2004-4/articlesu36.html [Broken]

this maybe of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imparcticle said:
What is the Bekenstein-Hawking entropy? what is "quasinormal mode"? $A/4$? :confused:

The Beckenstein-Hawking entropy essentially says that the entropy of a black hole is proportional to its horizon area (the A in A/4; note that is in natural units -- there is a G, hbar, and k floating in it). This was recently generalized by Bousso to become the holographic principle, which states that the number of degrees of freedom (information content) in a volume of space is also proportional to the surface area of a bounding "light sheet". The holographic principle shows promising links between relativity and field theory, e.g. the AdS/CFT correspondence.

The quasinormal mode has to do with resonance modes of a black hole, if I recall correctly. Dryer has derived an interesting result for this, which involves a factor of ln(3). I can't remember specifics (I saw him speak about it at a conference last summer), but if you look up his other papers on arxiv, you'll find the appropriate references.