Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BH entropy

1. Apr 24, 2004 #1

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

of course! should have thought of that,
  4. Apr 24, 2004 #3

Gold Member

5. Apr 24, 2004 #4
  6. Apr 25, 2004 #5
    The Beckenstein-Hawking entropy essentially says that the entropy of a black hole is proportional to its horizon area (the A in A/4; note that is in natural units -- there is a G, hbar, and k floating in it). This was recently generalized by Bousso to become the holographic principle, which states that the number of degrees of freedom (information content) in a volume of space is also proportional to the surface area of a bounding "light sheet". The holographic principle shows promising links between relativity and field theory, e.g. the AdS/CFT correspondence.

The quasinormal mode has to do with resonance modes of a black hole, if I recall correctly. Dryer has derived an interesting result for this, which involves a factor of ln(3). I can't remember specifics (I saw him speak about it at a conference last summer), but if you look up his other papers on arxiv, you'll find the appropriate references.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?