Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Feb 8, 2004 #1
    we all know at least one star-like person, but...
    do you know at least one black-hole-like-person?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2004 #2
    I am not sure if i am taking your analogies too far, or not far enough:

By a star-like person, do you mean someone who "shines" in the sense that they give warmth and enlightenment to those around them, catalyze others into greater vigour... etc?

And conversely by a black-hole like person, do you mean somone who only takes and takes, no matter how much you give; someone who is incapable of giving back to the world?

If so, I cannot say I have met any strictly of either kind. I have found that even apparently star-like people have times when they replenish by taking something... whether from the same people they give to, or others. Likewise, I have met some people who come close to being "black holes", but there always seems to be something given, whether intentionally or not, and, there is always a learning experience from having known them.

I kind of think we all take turns approximating stars and black holes. But perhaps you meant something a bit different?
  4. Feb 8, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew a black hole like person, just standing close to her sucked all the life energy out of me

I also knew star like people, who's presence just brightened up the day!
  5. Feb 8, 2004 #4
    i dont know of any black holes one person comes close but not quite, but i do know a couple of stars jimmyp for example he is quality, but nobody is as bright as my girlfriend.
  6. Feb 8, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, that person I mentioned definately was a black hole.. unbelievable.. really..
  7. Feb 8, 2004 #6

Staff: Mentor

Oh yeah, I've known black holes.
  8. Feb 8, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

Lol, i like being a star!! However my bedroom is like a black hole... hmmmm a star uh............................................................... i suppose a lot of my friends i would class as stars because they have pulled me up when i have dragged down so low. LOL and Andy for talking sense. Uh, hmmm i suppose i would class the ex as a black hole now...heh.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  9. Feb 8, 2004 #8
    Stars can quickly turn into a black hole.
  10. Feb 8, 2004 #9
    Not that your girl friend isn't the brightest person in the UK, but mine is the brightest in the northern hemisphere, at least.
  11. Feb 8, 2004 #10

Gold Member

She can't be all that bright if she doesn't know about your Minnesota Mail-Order-Bride on the way! - unless, she has arrived and she is what you are referring to... in which case, uh, Zooby... We need to talk... :wink:
  12. Feb 8, 2004 #11
    Oh, The Mail Order Bride! I nearly forgot about her. I guess I gotta lot a 'splainin' to do.
  13. Feb 8, 2004 #12

Gold Member

Well, I GUESS YOU DO!! Hope your girlfriend is understanding...:wink: BTW, I guess your GF doesn't mind the smell and the drooling?... Or is she also Zooby-like?
  14. Feb 12, 2004 #13
    i think this was the best reply.
  15. Feb 13, 2004 #14
    Thank you, always nice to get some positive feedback, lol.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?