1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bh-like->

1. Feb 8, 2004 #1
    we all know at least one star-like person, but...
    do you know at least one black-hole-like-person?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2004 #2
    I am not sure if i am taking your analogies too far, or not far enough:

By a star-like person, do you mean someone who "shines" in the sense that they give warmth and enlightenment to those around them, catalyze others into greater vigour... etc?

And conversely by a black-hole like person, do you mean somone who only takes and takes, no matter how much you give; someone who is incapable of giving back to the world?

If so, I cannot say I have met any strictly of either kind. I have found that even apparently star-like people have times when they replenish by taking something... whether from the same people they give to, or others. Likewise, I have met some people who come close to being "black holes", but there always seems to be something given, whether intentionally or not, and, there is always a learning experience from having known them.

I kind of think we all take turns approximating stars and black holes. But perhaps you meant something a bit different?

4. Feb 8, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew a black hole like person, just standing close to her sucked all the life energy out of me

I also knew star like people, who's presence just brightened up the day!

5. Feb 8, 2004 #4
    i dont know of any black holes one person comes close but not quite, but i do know a couple of stars jimmyp for example he is quality, but nobody is as bright as my girlfriend.

6. Feb 8, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, that person I mentioned definately was a black hole.. unbelievable.. really..

7. Feb 8, 2004 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh yeah, I've known black holes.

8. Feb 8, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

Lol, i like being a star!! However my bedroom is like a black hole... hmmmm a star uh............................................................... i suppose a lot of my friends i would class as stars because they have pulled me up when i have dragged down so low. LOL and Andy for talking sense. Uh, hmmm i suppose i would class the ex as a black hole now...heh.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  9. Feb 8, 2004 #8
    Stars can quickly turn into a black hole.

10. Feb 8, 2004 #9
    Not that your girl friend isn't the brightest person in the UK, but mine is the brightest in the northern hemisphere, at least.

11. Feb 8, 2004 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

She can't be all that bright if she doesn't know about your Minnesota Mail-Order-Bride on the way! - unless, she has arrived and she is what you are referring to... in which case, uh, Zooby... We need to talk... :wink:

12. Feb 8, 2004 #11
    Oh, The Mail Order Bride! I nearly forgot about her. I guess I gotta lot a 'splainin' to do.

13. Feb 8, 2004 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

Well, I GUESS YOU DO!! Hope your girlfriend is understanding...:wink: BTW, I guess your GF doesn't mind the smell and the drooling?... Or is she also Zooby-like?

14. Feb 12, 2004 #13
    i think this was the best reply.

15. Feb 13, 2004 #14
    Thank you, always nice to get some positive feedback, lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?