What Are the Longest and Shortest Wavelengths of the Pfund Series in Hydrogen?

• Thread starter mandymanny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Model
In summary: The longest and shortest wavelengths can be found using the Rydberg formula, with the longest wavelength corresponding to the smallest energy difference between levels and the shortest wavelength corresponding to the largest energy difference. These lines can be found in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. In summary, the pfund series in the line spectrum of atomic hydrogen includes transitions to the n=5 energy level and can be found in the infrared region, with the longest and shortest wavelengths determined by the smallest and largest energy differences between levels, respectively.
mandymanny

Homework Statement

in the line spectrum of atomic hydrogen there is also a group of lines known as the pfund series. these lines are produced when the electrons, excited to high energy levels, make transitions to the n=5 level.
Determine (a) the longest wavelength and the (b) shortest wavelength in this series. (c) what region in the electromagnetic spectrum in which these lines are found.

Homework Equations

En=E1/n^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i have to find the energy levels it could have started from
and then find the biggest jump and smallest made. but i don't know how to find the energy level it started from

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

HINT: What energy does the de Broglie wavelength correspond to? Where did this energy come from?

appologies

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to PF,

HINT: What energy does the de Broglie wavelength correspond to? Where did this energy come from?

sorry i copied the wrong problem

mandymanny said:
i think i have to find the energy levels it could have started from
and then find the biggest jump and smallest made. but i don't know how to find the energy level it started from
The pfund series starts from n=5, and includes transitions to higher energy levels, as stated in the question.

1. What is the Bhors model of the atom?

The Bhors model of the atom, also known as the Rutherford-Bohr model, is a model that describes the structure of the atom and how its electrons are arranged around the nucleus. It was proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913 and is based on the work of Ernest Rutherford.

2. How does the Bhors model differ from previous models of the atom?

The Bhors model differs from previous models of the atom, such as the Thompson model, by incorporating the concept of energy levels and the idea that electrons orbit the nucleus in fixed, circular paths rather than freely moving throughout the atom. This model also explains the stability of atoms and how they emit and absorb energy.

3. What evidence supports the Bhors model of the atom?

The Bhors model of the atom is supported by various experiments, including the observation of atomic spectra and the scattering of alpha particles by a gold foil. These experiments showed that electrons exist in discrete energy levels and that the nucleus contains protons and neutrons.

4. What are the limitations of the Bhors model?

One limitation of the Bhors model is that it only accurately describes the behavior of single-electron systems, such as hydrogen. It does not take into account the effects of electron-electron interactions in multi-electron atoms. It also does not fully explain the wave-like behavior of electrons, which is better described by quantum mechanics.

5. How has the Bhors model influenced our understanding of the atom?

The Bhors model played a significant role in shaping our understanding of the atom and its structure. It introduced the concept of energy levels and paved the way for further developments in quantum mechanics. It also helped to explain the periodic table of elements and has been used as a basis for more complex models of the atom. However, it has been refined and expanded upon with newer models, such as the quantum mechanical model, which provide a more accurate description of the atom.