Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BHs Matter

1. Jun 2, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

For a BH to form it must have a mass boundary, but does this boundary
    vary with differing types of matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

Black holes have only three properties: mass, charge, and angular momentum. What matter went into it doesn't matter.

4. Jun 5, 2005 #3

Labguy

Science Advisor

Black holes have four properties:

Mass
    Charge
    Angular momentum
    Magnetic field

All blacks holes have to have a magnetic field.

5. Jun 6, 2005 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

Is the magnetic field independent of the other three properties? (I don't think so, but I am not sure.)

6. Jun 6, 2005 #5

Labguy

Science Advisor

It would be independent of any net charge (usually=0), but the mass and especially angular momentum would contribute significantly to the strength of the magenetic field. See an older post on this at:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=254126#post254126

EDIT: For some reason, that link didn't work (on this computer) so here is the prior post:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  7. Jun 7, 2005 #6

mathman

Science Advisor

This is something I was not aware of. It looks like the magnetic field results from the interaction of the spinning black hole with the surrounding media. In that sense it is a derived thing, not basic as the three other items. The magnetic field doesn't seem to be an independent intrinsic property.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook