Can Rank Two Tensors Be Formed Using Dot Products?

• Thread starter xGAME-OVERx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, Scott Smith is researching the foundations of rank two tensors. He is having trouble finding information or references on the subject, and asks for help. He is told that a rank two tensor can be written as T = T_{ij} \left( e_{i} \otimes e_{j} ) . Dot products can be formed using a basis that isn't orthonormal, and that ( u_i \otimes u_j ) \cdot ( u_k \otimes u_l ) = |u_i| |u_j| \cos \theta_{ij} |u_k| |u_l| \cos \theta_{kl}
xGAME-OVERx
Hi All,

I'm currently doing undergraduate research involving a lot of work with rank two Cartesian tensors, and I'm having trouble finding much information or good references on the foundations of such things.

It's my understanding that a rank two tensor can be written [tex] T = T_{ij} \left( e_{i} \otimes e_{j} ) [/tex]. Can dot products be formed something like [tex] ( e_i \otimes e_j ) \cdot ( e_k \otimes e_l ) [/tex] ?

I've seen some references that say that much as a vector has a (single) direction, a rank two tensors has two directions. Is this always true?

Thanks in Advance
Scott Smith

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can make dot products.

Two directions are ok for antisymmetric rank 2 tensors - but exactly speaking only "pure" ones. One day you will learn about "wedge product" - it is important.

Thanks for the reply! I think I am aware of the wedge product, [tex] {\bf{a}} \wedge {{\bf{b}} = - {\bf{b}} \wedge {\bf{a}} [/tex], similar to the vector cross product?

So presumably [tex] ( e_i \otimes e_j ) \cdot ( e_k \otimes e_l ) = \delta_{ij} \delta_{kl} [/tex] for an orthonormal basis?

It is possible to use a basis that isn't orthonormal, say [tex] u_i [/tex], and define the dot product as [tex] ( u_i \otimes u_j ) \cdot ( u_k \otimes u_l ) = |u_i| |u_j| \cos \theta_{ij} |u_k| |u_l| \cos \theta_{kl} [/tex] ?

I think you got mixed with the indices, it should be:

[tex] ( u_i \otimes u_j ) \cdot ( u_k \otimes u_l ) = |u_i| |u_k| \cos \theta_{ik} |u_j| |u_l| \cos \theta_{jl} [/tex]
As in [tex] ( u_i \otimes u_j ) \cdot ( u_k \otimes u_l ) = <u_i , u_k> <u_j, u_l>[/tex]
Or so I remeber it that way.

Oops, sorry! Got the j and l indices backwards. Thanks!

1. What is bi-linear algebra?

Bi-linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces, matrices, and linear transformations. It focuses on the properties and operations of two variables simultaneously, unlike linear algebra which only deals with one variable.

2. What are some real-world applications of bi-linear algebra?

Bi-linear algebra has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, computer graphics, and machine learning. It is used to solve systems of equations, analyze data, and model complex systems.

3. How is bi-linear algebra different from linear algebra?

The main difference between bi-linear algebra and linear algebra is that bi-linear algebra deals with two variables simultaneously, while linear algebra only deals with one. Bi-linear algebra also involves the study of bilinear forms, which are functions of two variables that satisfy certain properties.

4. What are some important concepts in bi-linear algebra?

Some important concepts in bi-linear algebra include vector spaces, matrices, linear transformations, inner products, bilinear forms, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are essential for understanding the properties and operations of bi-linear algebra.

5. How can I improve my understanding of bi-linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of bi-linear algebra, it is important to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and multivariable calculus. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working with matrices and vectors. Additionally, studying applications of bi-linear algebra in different fields can also enhance your understanding of the subject.