Are Moderators Biased Against Intellectually Stimulating Threads with Sources?

• Thread starter itsmeincl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation highlights the deletion of threads by moderators, even when they contain proper citations. The thread in question was regarding white and East Asian relationships and was initially deleted in the General Discussion, but resurfaced in sociology with revisions and citations. However, it was ultimately deleted again, possibly due to a fear of deletion or because the OP, "animalcroc," was no longer a member. The conversation raises the question of whether intellectually stimulating threads with sources are frowned upon by certain moderators. However, it is mentioned that the citations in the original thread were not necessarily proper and the overall threads violated guidelines. The importance of using reliable sources is also emphasized. Finally, it is noted that returning as a sockpuppet after being banned
itsmeincl
It has come to my attention that certain threads are deleted by moderators even if they contain proper citations. I was paying attention a thread regarding white and East Asian relationships in the General Discussion when it was deleted. I then found the same revised thread, with citations, pop-up in sociology. The thread mentioned that it was revised because of fear of deletion. I checked again today to see if anything new was posted in that thread and I found it to be deleted and the OP's name "animalcroc" crossed out (which means user is no longer here?).
Are these type of intellectually stimulating threads (with sources) bring disdain in some moderator(s)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
itsmeincl said:
It has come to my attention that certain threads are deleted by moderators even if they contain proper citations. I was paying attention a thread regarding white and East Asian relationships in the General Discussion when it was deleted. I then found the same revised thread, with citations, pop-up in sociology. The thread mentioned that it was revised because of fear of deletion. I checked again today to see if anything new was posted in that thread and I found it to be deleted and the OP's name "animalcroc" crossed out (which means user is no longer here?).
Are these type of intellectually stimulating threads (with sources) bring disdain in some moderator(s)?
The threads were definitely not intellectually stimulating.

The citations in the original thread were not necessarily proper, and the threads in general violated the guidelines.

Depends what the sources were. If they are considered unreliable then of course the thread will be deleted. There is no point discussing subjects that are based on things that are not true. Claims and statements must be backed up properly.

Animalcroc, coming back as a sockpuppet after being banned is not allowed.

What is biased moderation of threads?

Biased moderation of threads refers to the practice of moderators on online forums or social media platforms favoring certain opinions or individuals over others. This can lead to unfair censorship or manipulation of discussions.

Why is biased moderation of threads a concern?

Biased moderation of threads can limit free speech and diversity of opinions on online platforms. It can also create an echo chamber effect, where only certain viewpoints are promoted, leading to a lack of critical thinking and healthy debate.

How can biased moderation of threads be identified?

Biased moderation of threads can be identified by looking for patterns in censoring or removing certain opinions or individuals, or by observing a lack of diversity in the discussions and viewpoints presented on a platform.

What are the potential consequences of biased moderation of threads?

The consequences of biased moderation of threads can include the suppression of minority or unpopular opinions, the spread of misinformation, and the creation of a toxic and polarizing online environment.

What can be done to address biased moderation of threads?

To address biased moderation of threads, platforms can implement transparent and unbiased moderation policies, encourage diverse and respectful discussions, and give users the ability to report biased moderation. Users can also choose to participate in and support platforms that promote fair and open discussions.