1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biaxial forces

1. Aug 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the cube with sides a=b=c=10cm . This block is tested under biaxial forces that are applied in the X and y directions. Assume that the forces applied have equal magnitudes of Fx=Fy=2x10^6 and that the modulus and poissons ratio of the block material is E=2x10^11 Pa and poissons ratio is = 0.3
    I) find the new dimensions of sides if both are tensile and I) if Fx is tensile and fy is compressive

2. Relevant equations
    σ=F/A
    εX=1/E(σx-νσy)

3. The attempt at a solution
    σX=2x10^6/0.1=2x10^7
    Same for σy as same variables

εX= 1/2x10^11(2x10^7-0.3(2x10^7))

εX = 7x10^-5

εY= same as same variables

=> a=0.100007m
    b=0.100007m
    C=0.09993m

I know that this is wrong but I can't seem to figure out why and I can't seem to do when one is tensile and one is compressive could really use help

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Check the area term in there.

Your work would be much easier to follow if you were to use parentheses as appropriate.

4. Aug 8, 2017 #3
    Sorry yes your right it should be 0.01
    I mistyped as I only have my phone it's quite hard to reread probably

5. Aug 8, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not just that you mistyped that line, though. You carried the error through the rest of the calculation, no?

6. Aug 8, 2017 #5
    Also, C is wrong. What is the equation for epsilonC?

7. Aug 9, 2017 #6
    $$\epsilon_C=-\frac{\nu(\sigma_x+\sigma_y)}{E}$$

8. Aug 9, 2017 #7
    And what is the difference then between tensile and compressive ? Also the equations εx=1/E(σx-μ(σy+σz))
    εy=1/E(σy-μ(σx+σz))
    εz=1/E(σz-μ(σy+σx))

Sorry I got thrown all these equations but no explanation on which or why use them

9. Aug 9, 2017 #8
    No. That is just the result of substituting ##\sigma_z=0## into the equation below.
    Yes. These equations are correct. You can choose whichever directions you please for the three stresses. In your problem, two of them are non-zero (and equal), and the third is zero.

10. Aug 9, 2017 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then let me break this down: εz=1/E(σz-μ(σy+σx))
    With only a force in the x direction, the consequence for the z direction would be εz=(1/E)(-μσx). Similarly for a force in the y direction only.
    For a force in the z direction only, the consequence for that direction is (1/E)(σz)
    With forces in all three directions, to a first approximation, you can just add them together.

11. Aug 9, 2017 #10
    i did it out again , does this look more correct??

Attached Files:

12. Aug 9, 2017 #11
    Both calculations of C are incorrect. In part (a), you made an algebra error and in part (b) you calculated ##\epsilon_z## incorrectly.

13. Aug 9, 2017 #12
    On the final page is it ? A and B dimensions are correct thou?

14. Aug 9, 2017 #13
    Yes, A and B are correct. But, there is no calculation on either page for ##\epsilon_z## in case (b)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted