Bible Code debunk

• Thread starter KitBurger
  • Start date
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
It seems rather strange that a society of skeptics would then choose to present an award in the early 2000s to someone else. Perhaps some such society presented an award to McKay et. al. but I can find no mention of it on the web. Nor can I find mention of an award to someone else.
Eureka
http://www.skeptics.com.au/spoon/2003bsa.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP speaks of a debunking of WRR specifically. Apparently, there is a wide discrepancy between the claims made by WRR and those made by Drosnin. Given the fact that people like myself are only dimly aware of the claims made by either, it might have helped to make that clear in the OP. Having read up on it a bit, here is my take. Corrections to my misunderstandings are welcome.

In 1994, WRR claimed that encoded in equidistant letter sequences (ELS) in the book of Genesis, were the names, birthdates, and deathdates of 28 of 32 important rabbis. In 1997 Drosnin published the book "The Bible Code" which made the claim that details concerning future events were encoded in ELS (in Genesis? in the entire Old Testament? In both Testaments?)
I'm sitting here with the WRR's Statistical Science article in front of me. In conclusion they state: " We conclude that the proximity of ELS's with related meanings in the Book of Genesis is not due to chance."

In 1999 McKay et. al. (MBBK) criticized the claims made by WRR, not those made by Drosnin.
Was that a question? In any case it's correct. I've just now finished reading MBBK's article (minus the appendices). They specifically address the claims of WRR and to some extent, Gans.

As to the question in the OP. MBBK was published in 1999 by a journal devoted to statistical science (judging by its name: Statistical Science), not a society devoted to skepticism. It seems rather strange that a society of skeptics would then choose to present an award in the early 2000s to someone else. Perhaps some such society presented an award to McKay et. al. but I can find no mention of it on the web. Nor can I find mention of an award to someone else.
It hardly seems to matter that a society of skeptics, rather than trained mathematicians in staticticans would make an award on way or another. Do you think?

In having read MBBK's criticism of WRR94, it seems very scholarly (and damning). Then again I'd thought WRR94 meaningful enough to make an attempt to falsify it, so what do I know?

If all the forgoing is not enough, here is Witztum's refutation of MBBK's refute,

http://www.torahcodes.co.il/debate1.htm" [Broken]

Edit: And more from KcKay. Enter here: http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/torah.html" [Broken]

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
In having read MBBK's criticism of WRR94, it seems very scholarly (and damning). Then again I'd thought WRR94 meaningful enough to make an attempt to falsify it, so what do I know?

If all the forgoing is not enough, here is Witztum's refutation of MBBK's refute,

http://www.torahcodes.co.il/debate1.htm" [Broken]
No surprises there. They have to try and scrape the egg off their faces.

And in the final analysis, I think anyway, that their choosing to carry the squabble to the arithmetic of it all rather than grappling with the inherent absurdity of trying to pass off chance as profound intent, is really the only rear guard action at their disposal.

No surprises there. They have to try and scrape the egg off their faces.

And in the final analysis, I think anyway, that their choosing to carry the squabble to the arithmetic of it all rather than grappling with the inherent absurdity of trying to pass off chance as profound intent, is really the only rear guard action at their disposal.
Dude! Is this your objective opinion or a leap of faith? :smile:

It hardly seems to matter that a society of skeptics, rather than trained mathematicians in staticticans would make an award on way or another. Do you think?
That might have been made clear in the OP as well. I answered the question that was asked.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Dude! Is this your objective opinion or a leap of faith? :smile:
You may be sure that it is not a leap of faith.

Evo
Mentor
This thread is stretching the limits on overly speculative posts, so is closed.