1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bibtex help image citing

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    I want to put an image in my research paper, I am using ACS citations with bibtex. I was wondering how I cite an image that is placed in the body of my research report? Like what would the bibtex entry be, and am I even allowed to do this with ACS?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not familiar with the ACS format, but if the figure has been reproduced from another publication, then this should be referenced in the caption of the image, with the appropriate citation. The bibtex entry would be for the article or book that contained the image.

Now, it may be against the editorial guidelines for the journal that you're publishing in to reproduce a figure in total from another source. There are both copyright issues (though fair use would tend to apply depending on the circumstances) and issues of originality. That is an issue that would have to be addressed by the editor that would handle the submission.

Edit: You might be asking a more pedestrian LaTeX question. If you are using the figure environment, you can put a \label{fig:awesome} in the body of the figure and use
    Code (Text):
    \ref{fig:awesome}
    to generate the figure number elsewhere in the document. It has nothing to do with bibtex as far as I'm aware.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    Okay, so it is not good to reuse images from other sources, even if they're cited? I think I might just leave it out. I was also asking if there was some native bibtex thing like @image?

5. Sep 16, 2013 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whether or not you can reuse an image is slightly complicated, both legally and ethically. Obviously you're trying to use a figure to improve your discussion and aren't trying to infringe on the original author's rights or trying to pass off the figure as original. But standards for this sort of thing can differ from field to field and would be best addressed by the editor of the journal you would be submitting to. It might be enough to ask for permission from the authors of the figure.

After I realized that you might just be asking about labels, my edit suggested how to handle references and labels. More discussion is here. The way the labels work with figures is analogous to the way they work with equations, however they suggest that you might have problems if you try to put the label before the \caption. Bibtex handles the bibliography, not section, equation, table or figure labels.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook