How do I cite an image in a research paper using ACS citations with bibtex?

In summary: So \label{fig:awesome} would have the following bibtex entry:\bibitem{fig:awesome}\label{fig:awesome}In summary, you can put an image in your research paper, citing it with bibtex. The bibtex entry would be for the article or book that contained the image.
saminator910
I want to put an image in my research paper, I am using ACS citations with bibtex. I was wondering how I cite an image that is placed in the body of my research report? Like what would the bibtex entry be, and am I even allowed to do this with ACS?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with the ACS format, but if the figure has been reproduced from another publication, then this should be referenced in the caption of the image, with the appropriate citation. The bibtex entry would be for the article or book that contained the image.

Now, it may be against the editorial guidelines for the journal that you're publishing into reproduce a figure in total from another source. There are both copyright issues (though fair use would tend to apply depending on the circumstances) and issues of originality. That is an issue that would have to be addressed by the editor that would handle the submission.

Edit: You might be asking a more pedestrian LaTeX question. If you are using the figure environment, you can put a \label{fig:awesome} in the body of the figure and use
Code:
\ref{fig:awesome}
to generate the figure number elsewhere in the document. It has nothing to do with bibtex as far as I'm aware.

Likes 1 person
Okay, so it is not good to reuse images from other sources, even if they're cited? I think I might just leave it out. I was also asking if there was some native bibtex thing like @image?

saminator910 said:
Okay, so it is not good to reuse images from other sources, even if they're cited? I think I might just leave it out. I was also asking if there was some native bibtex thing like @image?

Whether or not you can reuse an image is slightly complicated, both legally and ethically. Obviously you're trying to use a figure to improve your discussion and aren't trying to infringe on the original author's rights or trying to pass off the figure as original. But standards for this sort of thing can differ from field to field and would be best addressed by the editor of the journal you would be submitting to. It might be enough to ask for permission from the authors of the figure.

After I realized that you might just be asking about labels, my edit suggested how to handle references and labels. More discussion is here. The way the labels work with figures is analogous to the way they work with equations, however they suggest that you might have problems if you try to put the label before the \caption. Bibtex handles the bibliography, not section, equation, table or figure labels.

I understand the importance of properly citing sources in research papers. When it comes to citing images, it is important to follow the guidelines set by the specific citation style being used. In the case of ACS citations with bibtex, the best way to cite an image placed in the body of the research report would be to use the "misc" entry type in bibtex. This entry type allows for the inclusion of various types of sources, including images. The bibtex entry for an image citation should include the author, title, year, and source of the image, along with any relevant page or figure numbers. As for whether or not ACS allows for the inclusion of images in research papers, it is best to consult the specific guidelines of the journal or publication being used. However, in general, it is acceptable to include images in research papers as long as they are properly cited and relevant to the research being presented.

1. What is Bibtex?

Bibtex is a computer program and file format used for formatting bibliographies and citations in documents. It is commonly used in the fields of science and academia.

2. How do I cite an image using Bibtex?

To cite an image using Bibtex, you can use the @image entry type and include the necessary information such as the author, title, year, and URL or location of the image. You can also add additional fields if needed, such as the format or medium of the image.

3. Can I cite multiple images in one Bibtex entry?

Yes, you can cite multiple images in one Bibtex entry by separating each image with a comma and using the @image entry type for each image. Make sure to include all the relevant information for each image.

4. How do I format the citation for an image in Bibtex?

The format of an image citation in Bibtex typically includes the author, title, year, and URL or location of the image. However, the exact format may vary depending on the citation style you are using. It's important to check the guidelines for your specific citation style to ensure proper formatting.

5. Are there any tools or resources to help with citing images using Bibtex?

Yes, there are several tools and resources available to help with citing images using Bibtex. Some popular options include reference management software such as Zotero or Mendeley, which have built-in Bibtex citation capabilities. There are also online Bibtex generators and citation style guides that can assist with formatting image citations.