Biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem

In summary, the goal is to prove ~∃x∀y ( P(x,y) ↔ ~P(y,y)) using Taut Con in a Fitch proof. The suggested approach is to begin a subproof without the negation and use universal elimination to get ( P(a,b) ↔ ~P(b,b)). The law of the excluded middle can then be applied to show that this statement leads to a contradiction, allowing for the use of Negation Introduction to conclude the proof.
paradox
I have a problem I'm working on that I'm a bit stuck on. In this problem we are allowed to use Taut Con in our Fitch proof. The goal is to prove the following from no premises:

~∃x∀y ( P(x,y) ↔ ~P(y,y))

My initial thought is to begin a subproof with the problem itself, except without the negation, that way if I ultimately conclude in a falsum, I can use negation introduction on the last step to get the goal. Within this subproof I'd imagine to want to use a subproof for Existential elimination, that way I can work with ∀y ( P(a,y) ↔ ~P(y,y)) and using universal elimination get ( P(a,b) ↔ ~P(b,b)). Then if I can prove this biconditional statement to be a contradiction/falsum, I can use existential elimination on the beginning of the subproof to get out of it and use the falsum in my original plan.

I know I'm allowed to use Taut Con but not sure how to apply it to ( P(a,b) ↔ ~P(b,b)) in order to prove it to lead to a contradiction. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!You can prove this statement using the law of the excluded middle. This law states that for any statement P, either P is true or its negation ~P is true. So in this case, either P(a,b) is true or ~P(b,b) is true. If you assume the first to be true and the second to be false, then you have a contradiction. The same holds if you assume the first to be false and the second to be true. Thus, the statement is always false and you can use Negation Introduction to conclude with ~∃x∀y ( P(x,y) ↔ ~P(y,y)).

It seems like you have a good plan in place for approaching this problem. Starting a subproof without the negation and using existential elimination to get to (P(a,b) ↔ ~P(b,b)) is a good strategy. From there, you could use Taut Con to simplify the biconditional statement and see if you can derive a contradiction from it. For example, you could try using the law of non-contradiction to show that P(a,b) and ~P(b,b) cannot both be true at the same time. Alternatively, you could try using a proof by cases to show that if P(a,b) is true, then ~P(b,b) must be false, and vice versa. Keep in mind that you may need to use some additional premises or assumptions in your subproof in order to successfully apply Taut Con and derive a contradiction. Good luck with your proof!

1. What is a biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem?

A biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem is a logical statement that consists of two conditional statements connected by the biconditional operator (↔). This means that the statement is only true if both conditional statements are either true or false. If the two conditional statements have contradicting truth values, then the biconditional statement leads to a contradiction.

2. How is a biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem represented symbolically?

A biconditional statement can be represented symbolically as p ↔ q, where p and q are two conditional statements. This statement is read as "p if and only if q". It is also sometimes denoted as p ≡ q.

3. Can you give an example of a biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem?

One example of a biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem is the statement "I will eat pizza if and only if it is raining outside." If it is not raining outside (p is false) and I still eat pizza (q is true), then the biconditional statement is false. This is a contradiction because the statement says that I will only eat pizza if it is raining outside.

4. How can we determine if a biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem is true or false?

A biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem is only true if both conditional statements have the same truth value. If one statement is true and the other is false, then the biconditional is false. This is because the statement "p if and only if q" means that p and q must have the same truth value.

5. Can a biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem be rewritten as an equivalent statement?

Yes, a biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem can be rewritten as an equivalent statement using the logical equivalence rules. One way to rewrite it is by using the implication operator (→). The biconditional statement p ↔ q is equivalent to (p → q) ∧ (q → p). This means that if both p and q are true, or if both p and q are false, then the biconditional statement is true.