1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biconditional to lead to a contradiction problem

1. Dec 16, 2006 #1
    I have a problem I'm working on that I'm a bit stuck on. In this problem we are allowed to use Taut Con in our Fitch proof. The goal is to prove the following from no premises:

~∃x∀y ( P(x,y) ↔ ~P(y,y))

My initial thought is to begin a subproof with the problem itself, except without the negation, that way if I ultimately conclude in a falsum, I can use negation introduction on the last step to get the goal. Within this subproof I'd imagine to want to use a subproof for Existential elimination, that way I can work with ∀y ( P(a,y) ↔ ~P(y,y)) and using universal elimination get ( P(a,b) ↔ ~P(b,b)). Then if I can prove this biconditional statement to be a contradiction/falsum, I can use existential elimination on the beginning of the subproof to get out of it and use the falsum in my original plan.

I know I'm allowed to use Taut Con but not sure how to apply it to ( P(a,b) ↔ ~P(b,b)) in order to prove it to lead to a contradiction. Any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted