How Does Tension Affect a Bicycle on an Incline?

In summary, a 14kg bicycle on a 12 degree incline has a tension scale attached by a rope to the rear wheel and a metal bar on the frame. The rope is at a 30 degree angle to the metal bar. Using equations for tension, slope, and components of force, it can be determined that the reading on the tension scale will be 1.6kg. This is less than the reading of the tension scale in a previous problem due to the effects of friction on the wheel and the opposing forces from the rope. The rope must provide a torque to cancel out the torque from friction in order for the bike to stay in place on the incline.
brianinbwangju

Homework Statement

A 14kg bicycle is on a 12 degree incline. A tension scale is connected by a rope to both the rear wheel circumference and a metal bar that is extending the bicycle frame rearward. The line of the rope is at a 30 degree angle to the metal bar. What will be the reading on the tension scale?

Homework Equations

T = rF
Fslope= m*g*sin(angle)
x component of F = cos(angle) * mag F

The Attempt at a Solution

I am basing this solution on my solution for Bicycle and Pulley, part 1,
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=148577
but I didn't get any feedback to know whether part 1 was correct. Also I am a little more hazy on part 2, but I want to know if I am right so I'll proceed.

F1 is the force pulling the bicycle down the incline
F1 = m*g*sin(12) = 14kg * sin(12) = 2.96kg

There are 2 forces opposing F1 :
F2, the friction force of the wheel on the incline
F3, the force from the rope
Both forces act on the rear wheel

Considering the direction of the forces acting on the bicycle,
F2 + F3 = F1
F2 = cos(30)* F3 = .866*F3
(Should that be the magnitudes of the forces?)

F1 = 2.96kg
F2 = 1.3
F3= 1.6

So, the tension scale should read 1.6kg

Note: The tension scale on the bicycle of part 1 read 2.96. This means, in part 2, there will be less tension on the rope than in part 1

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, right, here is the attachment

Attachments

• part2.jpg
    part2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 356
This should be no different from the bicycle part of the first problem. Only friction keeps the bike from moving. The rope torque must cancel the friction torque.

OlderDan said:
This should be no different from the bicycle part of the first problem. Only friction keeps the bike from moving. The rope torque must cancel the friction torque.

I am sorry that I don't have much knowledge, so I may be making a convoluted mess of this but...

I don't see the rope torque cancelling the friction torque.
In the attachment I labelled what I think are the forces acting on the wheel, and what direction the forces are causing the wheel to rotate.

In Part 1,
F1 is the component of gravity pulling the bicycle down the ramp
F2 is the force of friction of the ramp
F3 is the force of the rope pulling on the bike frame
F4 is the resulting force of the rope pulling on the bike frame
Here I think F4 cancels F3

In Part 2,
F1 is the component of gravity pulling the bike down the ramp
Here I think F1 is causing the wheel to rotate one way, while F2, F3, and F4 are causing the wheel to rotate the other way

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 405
brianinbwangju said:
I am sorry that I don't have much knowledge, so I may be making a convoluted mess of this but...

I don't see the rope torque cancelling the friction torque.
In the attachment I labelled what I think are the forces acting on the wheel, and what direction the forces are causing the wheel to rotate.

In Part 1,
F1 is the component of gravity pulling the bicycle down the ramp
Here I think F4 cancels F3

In Part 2,
F1 is the component of gravity pulling the bike down the ramp
Here I think F1 is causing the wheel to rotate one way, while F2, F3, and F4 are causing the wheel to rotate the other way

The key point here is that the force of the rope acting on the bike is NOT contributing to the force needed to keep the bike from moving down the plane. There are equal and opposite forces acting on the bike at the ends of the rope between the wheel and the frame. This is no different from applying the brakes to keep the wheel from moving, and it is no different from having the rope attached anywhere else on the bike. The rope must porovide a torque that opposes the torgue due to friction.

1. How does a pulley system affect the efficiency of a bicycle?

A pulley system can increase the efficiency of a bicycle by reducing the amount of force needed to move the bicycle. By using a pulley, the rider can change the direction of the force needed to move the bicycle, making it easier to pedal and increasing the overall efficiency of the system.

2. Can a bicycle and pulley system be used to lift heavy objects?

Yes, a bicycle and pulley system can be used to lift heavy objects. The pulley allows the rider to change the direction of the force needed to lift the object, making it easier to lift. However, the weight of the object must still be within the limits of what the rider can physically handle.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage of a bicycle and pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a bicycle and pulley system can affect the mechanical advantage, which is the ratio of output force to input force. Generally, the more pulleys in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage, making it easier to move the bicycle or lift heavy objects.

4. Is there a limit to how many pulleys can be added to a bicycle and pulley system?

There is no specific limit to the number of pulleys that can be added to a bicycle and pulley system. However, as the number of pulleys increases, the mechanical advantage also increases, but the system may become more complex and require more maintenance.

5. What are some real-world applications of a bicycle and pulley system?

A bicycle and pulley system can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in construction to lift heavy objects, in elevators to move between floors, and in exercise equipment to adjust resistance levels. It is also commonly used in simple machines, such as a block and tackle, to lift heavy objects with minimal effort.