Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bicycle frame analysis on FEA

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    I'm working on a group project where we test a bicycle frame on ABAQUS.

The test is as follow

mEy4ro1.jpg

Where F is a static load. It was suggested for us to consider it as 4G*120kg to simulate a laboratory test. We're having a hard time knowing what is the maximum deflection (or stifness) we should allow.

I can't find any tests like this, or websites where i could get that information. Does anyone have any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Google 'bicycle frame analysis' and you will get many suggestions and references.

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3
    I did and i won't get any of use for this case, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An1MuS: I currently would guess the vertical deflection in your above frame test will be quite low, perhaps less than 2 mm. I currently would guess, initially use 1.5 mm as your current maximum allowable vertical deflection criterion, and see how it goes. My current guess for the range of good values would be 0.15 to 1.5 mm (?). I.e., in this current guess, the maximum allowable vertical deflection would be ymax = 1.5 mm.

And then if someone with expertise in this particular vertical deflection load case sees this thread, then they could advise whether my guessed maximum allowable vertical deflection value (ymax), or allowable deflection range, should be modified.

How would the 1.5 mm criterion, or the proposed range I stated above (0.15 to 1.5 mm), compare to some of your current deflection results? Also, you could, e.g., make your frame like a good, existing frame, and then see what vertical deflection value you obtain. And then post the results, so we can start comparing it to the proposed deflection criterion, to see if we are in the correct ball park. Do this for a good, known, stiff frame, to establish the lower allowable deflection (ymin) bound. Then do it again for a good, known, very flexible frame, to establish the upper allowable deflection (ymax) bound.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. Apr 14, 2014 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

http://www.justinreina.com/portfolio/ME%20354%20-%20Bicycle%20lab.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook