Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bicycle Jet Backpack

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bicycle "Jet" Backpack

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2....com/2006/10/04/personal-jet-pack/&frame=true

Pacific Wind homepage
    http://www.personalpropulsion.com/products.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: It looks a lot like those leaf blower contraptions they created on MythBusters to propel their homemade hovercrafts. :rofl: As I recall, they had better luck pushing with their hands than with the propellors. :biggrin:

By the way, if it really does get that much thrust, what happens when you don't have very strong abs to keep from being bent over in the middle after turning it on? Do you get smooshed to the ground by it? :devil:

4. Nov 11, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh come on, you KNOW that you want one! :biggrin:

I was wondering how effective this might really be. Randomly picking a 35cc Honda engine, the output is rated as 1.2KW at 7000 RPM. I know from experience that 300 watts is a pretty heavy load for most riders; with 200 watts being more likely a constant duty level. This would mean that the fan has to be around 17% efficient, which I think might be possible.

5. Nov 11, 2006 #4
    That has got to be very inefficient. If you were to hook the same 35cc engine straight into the bicycle's crankshaft, I'm sure you'd do a lot better with it. Of course, then you'd have to learn to operate a clutch, and will have reinvented the original mopeds (as opposed to what they call "mopeds" now).

6. Nov 11, 2006 #5
    Sounds like some Darwin award awaiting to happen.

And: Can we get GW to try one? He's already shown he's not that great at Segwaying.:rofl:

7. Nov 11, 2006 #6
    I think I would opt for some ear plugs.:wink:

8. Nov 11, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, with one of those, I could get a bike around here and have some hope of getting back UP the mountains once I get down them. :biggrin: :rofl: Of course, with that added weight on the way downhill...it might not matter, because I would just make that much bigger of a splat at the bottom. :uhh:

9. Nov 12, 2006 #8

Danger

Gold Member

That video was a bit disappointing. I thought for sure that he was going to T-bone that white car entering the parking lot.
    I just might have to build me one of those.
    Moonbear, given your, er... predominant features, you don't have to worry about your head hitting the pavement. Not all of us are lucky enough to come with biological airbags.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?