Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bicycle Suspension history

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    Hey Guys,
    I'm doing a research project on the bicycle suspension.
    I would like to include a brief history of the suspension in my report.
    I am having trouble finding when bicycle suspension was first introduced, and what sort of systems were originally used, who patented it etc.
    Any help or link would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Mar 12, 2009 #3
    thanks mate, apreciate the help

5. Mar 12, 2009 #4
    "If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance." - Orville Wright

6. Mar 13, 2009 #5
    What are the differences between a bicycle with a fork suspension and one that doesn't have the suspension? Hoping you can help me in deciding what style of bicycle I should get. Currently, I'm between a Marin Kentfield and a Cannondale Adventure 5.

The Marin doesn't have the fork suspension. While the Cannondale does. I'm hoping to have a new focus on commuting to work (20 miles round-trip). The more comfortable and less draining my ride will be, the more likely I will be to make this a habit.

What difference does having the front fork suspension make if any?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
  7. Mar 13, 2009 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It'll weigh more, take a little bit more energy to ride, and be more comfortable (off road). If you're only riding on the road, or on gravel tracks, towpaths etc, stick to a rigid fork. You don't need suspension until you're riding on pretty serious off-road courses (and even then, you don't need it...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook