1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bicycle vs. pulley, part 2

1. Jan 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    About a year ago I prepared a test for a bicycle on an inclined plane by:
    tying down the handlebars, so they wouldn't move much
    removing the chain
    and tying a wire to a tension scale and the bicycle in 2 ways.
    1. I attached a wire to the rear wheel and the scale, and attached another wire from the scale to a rack at the rear of the bike.
    2. I attached one end of a wire to the point on the front wheel where it touches the ground and the other end to a chain, wrapped the chain around a sprocket on the bottom bracket, attached the other end of the chain to the tension scale, and attached a wire from the tension scale to the front forks.
    see attachment
    If the measurement for 1 is 3 kg, what will be the measurement for 2?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From bicycle vs. pulley, part 1 https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=148577
    measurement 1 of about 3 kg can be calculated.

from what I learned from bicycle vs. pulley, part 2https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=148808
    I can make the following calculation:
    A ground force of 3 kg is opposed by 3 kg of tension along the wire from the front wheel to the sprocket. 3 kg of torque on the sprocket creates 3 kg of tension along the wire from the sprocket to the front fenders. In other words, both measurements should be the same - about 3 kg.
    However, measurement 1 was about 3 kg, but measurements for 2 were from 2 kg to 2.7 kg.
    So, why weren't they the same? Is there any explanantion besides a faulty test?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted