Bicycle Wheel Nut Design: Material Selection and Heat Treatment Considerations

In summary: Thanks a lot for clearing that up, I don't know much about the types of heat treatment, much appreciated. I think a treatment like you described would be best to achieve high strength and hardness in the thread but not too hard that it makes the whole bolt not very effective when it comes to impact resistance.
louie13
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to design some custom nuts for my bmx wheel axle but I have a few questions which I thought you guys might be able to help me with.
First of all I've created an autodesk inventor model of the flange style nut I want to create but I'm not sure what material would be best to use for this application. I currently have stunt pegs on my bike too meaning a lot of extra forces will be transmitted through the axle and into the nut & dropout of the frame. Some commonly used materials for nuts are stainless steel (not the strongest but corrosion resistant which is useful), alloy steel, tianium or 7075 aluminium alloy. I currently have an aluminium and a stainless bolt on either side of the rear axle as one of my aluminium ones split which is why I want to machine custom ones.
I've been thinking of using a steel alloy such as 4130 and heat treating it. This would be very strong but could be too ridgid considering the forces being put through it, making it likely to snap rather than bend when load is applied. Another material I've thought about using is grade 5 titanium due to its high strength and more "springy" properties compared to 4130 which could be useful for the situation. Now I'm only a high school student, not a mechanical engineer so I could be thinking about this completely wrongly.

Another question I have is about washers to acompany these bolts. I'm just wondering if a nord-lock style or oversized flat washer would have any major advantages over a regular flat washer regarding strength and the prevention of the axle moving in the dropouts from peg use since I can't install chain tensioners.

I hope you all can understand what I mean, I'd be happy to try and explain anything any further and any suggestions about the engineering of the nuts is more than welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
louie13 said:
First of all I've created an autodesk inventor model of the flange style nut I want to create

Can we have a look ??

Nidum said:
Can we have a look ??

I've attached a quick render I created with no specified material.

Attachments

• 19mm Axle Nut Render.jpg
    19mm Axle Nut Render.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 384
What problem are you trying to solve?
Why can't OTS (off the shelf) nuts be used?

billy_joule said:
What problem are you trying to solve?
Why can't OTS (off the shelf) nuts be used?

I thought it would be a fun project and I'd like to make them for use with a 19mm socket for extra strength rather than 17mm that other companies use.

One quick addition to your original post. Please do not confuse heat treatment with making it hard. A heat treatable Ferris alloy like 4130 would be a good choice among others. The process of heat treatment is just using heat to alter the structure of the metal. It is normal to search the balance between hardness and malleability appropriate for the job. This is how things like chisel can have a very hard edge with a highly ductile body and exceptional impact resistance all in the same piece of metal. We can just define the right process to achieve best results once the plan is set.

Ketch22 said:
One quick addition to your original post. Please do not confuse heat treatment with making it hard. A heat treatable Ferris alloy like 4130 would be a good choice among others. The process of heat treatment is just using heat to alter the structure of the metal. It is normal to search the balance between hardness and malleability appropriate for the job. This is how things like chisel can have a very hard edge with a highly ductile body and exceptional impact resistance all in the same piece of metal. We can just define the right process to achieve best results once the plan is set.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up, I don't know much about the types of heat treatment, much appreciated. I think a treatment like you described would be best to achieve high strength and hardness in the thread but not too hard that it makes the whole bolt not very effective when it comes to impact resistance.

1. What materials are commonly used for bicycle wheel nuts?

Bicycle wheel nuts are typically made from steel, aluminum, or titanium. Steel is the most common material due to its strength and affordability. Aluminum is also a popular choice for its lightweight properties, while titanium is used for its strength and corrosion resistance.

2. What factors should be considered when designing bicycle wheel nuts?

When designing bicycle wheel nuts, factors such as strength, weight, durability, and ease of use should be taken into consideration. It is important to choose materials and designs that can withstand the stress and strain of regular use while also being lightweight and user-friendly.

3. How do threaded and quick-release wheel nuts differ?

Threaded wheel nuts are screwed onto the axle and require a tool, such as a wrench, to tighten or loosen them. Quick-release wheel nuts, on the other hand, have a lever mechanism that allows for easy tightening and loosening without the use of tools. Quick-release nuts are commonly used on high-end bicycles for their convenience.

4. Is there a standard size for bicycle wheel nuts?

No, there is no standard size for bicycle wheel nuts. The size and thread pitch can vary depending on the type of bicycle and wheel. It is important to check the specifications of the specific bicycle and wheel to ensure the correct size and type of wheel nut is used.

5. How can wheel nuts be designed to prevent theft?

There are various ways to design wheel nuts to prevent theft. Some options include using specialized nuts with unique shapes or patterns that require specialized tools for removal, using locking nuts that require a key for removal, or using anti-theft skewers that require a specific tool to loosen them. It is important to choose a method that is secure without compromising the functionality of the wheel nuts.