1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bicycles and their mad skillz

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    Alright. So I'm froob and must admit I don't quite understand the bicycle and how it seems to give you more for less, so to say. I figured the shape of a wheel and how the curves stand off from the ground sorta enable gravity to give an extra pull on it. How ever , when I went to look it up it said the wheels acts like a lever. Hmm, So how does a lever work? Couldn't find a very exact reason for that. Somehow the lever and the wheel-lever definitions need to match...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

More what for less what? :smile:

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3
    Well for like one step may only get you two feet, while going down on the pedal may take you several

5. Nov 22, 2009 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is mainly due to rolling. But assuming no rolling (high friction) the bike would be just a lever: you foot moves less than the tire, but with more force, depending on the gearing.

6. Nov 22, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

7. Nov 22, 2009 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gear wheels and cranks are both, effectively, levers. They move around a pivot and the Velocity Ratio is the ratio of the two radii involved. The 'perpendicular distance' as referred to in lever calculations, is just the radius for a wheel and the length of crank (assuming you are pushing on it at right angles).

What you get "more for less" is distance traveled. This involves more force, of course, because you can't get more energy (/power) out than you put in. The Mechanical Advantage is the actual ratio of the forces involved and the Efficiency is given by:
    Efficiency = MA/VR
    this is always less than unity but pretty good in biycles, the majority of the loss being due to the rolling resistance of the tyres which are constantly having to raise you 'up hill' as the tyre is always flattened against the road slightly. That's why you pump up racing tyres to insane pressures. Chains and sprockets and ball races are pretty damned efficient by any standard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook