Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bicycles problems

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1

Jir

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum. I came here cause I need some help for my school project. If anybody can help me, I apreciate it allot.

The bicycle problem (now i think about it, bicycle can also be replaced by boat, plane or any other moving object):

The bicycle makes a turn of 180 degrees. And still has a large percentage (depending on radius, speed etc.) of its initial speed. I imagine the answer to be very simple but my little head just won't get it.

Also, for the same project I need to understand gyroscopes (the bicycle wheels) better. If somebody could explain this to me, or send a handy link it will also be much apreciated. However I think I'll search the forums a bit for that last one.

Thanks in advance, Jir

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What makes the bicycle turn 180 degrees? If you go around a banked curve, then the curve is exerting a force on you that changes your momentum.

4. Feb 7, 2005 #3

Jir

Just the steering wheel and you who leans a bit to the left or right. For the rest the road is perfectly straight, horizontal and flat. I have already found out why the bike maintains its balance while going in circles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?