1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bicycles problems

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1

Jir

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum. I came here cause I need some help for my school project. If anybody can help me, I apreciate it allot.

The bicycle problem (now i think about it, bicycle can also be replaced by boat, plane or any other moving object):

The bicycle makes a turn of 180 degrees. And still has a large percentage (depending on radius, speed etc.) of its initial speed. I imagine the answer to be very simple but my little head just won't get it.

Also, for the same project I need to understand gyroscopes (the bicycle wheels) better. If somebody could explain this to me, or send a handy link it will also be much apreciated. However I think I'll search the forums a bit for that last one.

Thanks in advance, Jir

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What makes the bicycle turn 180 degrees? If you go around a banked curve, then the curve is exerting a force on you that changes your momentum.

4. Feb 7, 2005 #3

Jir

Just the steering wheel and you who leans a bit to the left or right. For the rest the road is perfectly straight, horizontal and flat. I have already found out why the bike maintains its balance while going in circles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook