Bifilar Coil Formulas: Calculate Capacitance & Impedance

In summary, the conversation was about the construction and testing of a bifilar pancake coil based on a Tesla patent. The coil was found to have a capacitance of 5.45 uF, which was higher than expected for its size and wire gauge. The accuracy of the measurement was questioned and it was suggested to use a more advanced impedance analyzer for a more accurate reading. The conversation also referenced a calculator and equation for predicting the capacitance of coils.
Jdo300
Hi Everyone,

I read the Tesla patent about bifilar pancake coils here:

http://www.magnetricity.com/NeoG/Bifilar.php

and I read about how they are supposed to decrease the impedance and increase the capacitance of the coil. So I constructed one to try out the idea. To my surprise, when I tested the capacitance of the coil with my multimeter, it registered 5.45 uF, my coil is only about the size of a CD and made with 16 gauge magnet wire. I attached a picture of it to this post.

I am wondering if anyone out there knows of any formulas to predict the capacitance of the coil given the number of turns (in a flat spiral, not a solenoid), and given the size wire used.

Thanks,
Jason O

Attachments

• coil.GIF
    coil.GIF
    92.6 KB · Views: 3,214
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
5uF sounds way high for a 16AWG coil that size. Are you sure of your measurement? My inexpensive B&K LCR meter gives misleading results unless you're real careful...

berkeman said:
5uF sounds way high for a 16AWG coil that size. Are you sure of your measurement? My inexpensive B&K LCR meter gives misleading results unless you're real careful...

Yes I'm quite sure of my measurements. I actually used the new multimeter I recently bought on eBay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Digital-LCR-Capacitance-Inductance-Meter-Multimeter_W0QQitemZ220001638302QQcategoryZ25421QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

All I did was take some smaller gauge wire and stick it into the holes for Cx and set the dial to measure capacitance in the 20uF range. Then I connected the smaller wires stuck in the meter to the leads on my coil to get the measurement I observed. I also made sure I had the far right button on the meter pressed into measure Cx. I even tested some regular capacitors using the meter just to make sure that I had it setup properly to take the measurements and that seemed to check out fine. However, if you see anything wrong with my measurement method, please let me know and I'll gladly retest it.

Thanks,
Jason O

Nice looking meter! But I do doubt that any handheld LCR meter will be able to tell you the capacitance of a coil like that accurately. The problem is that the meter assumes that you are measuring a capacitor, not measuring the parasitic capacitance of an inductor. You would need to use a full impedance analyzer like an HP 4194. You need to see the full complex impedance versus frequency in order to calculate the inductive and capacitive components (like Lp Cp on the 4194).

My little B&K meter has a D = 1/Q reading that it can make while measuring L or C, and that's helpful to see what the series resistance Rs is. But it doesn't have any way to help me measure the parasitic capacitance of a coil. I go use the 4194 for that.

You should be able to measure the inductance pretty well with the meter. Then you might be able to drive the Lp Cp resonance with a signal generator through a 10kOhm resistor or so, and get the Cp value from that. I'd guess it will be in the 100pF-500pF range or so from the size of your coil.

Hi,

Thanks for the insight. I'll take it over to my engineering college and have them check it out for me to see what the capacitance is since I'm getting questionable results with my meter.

Would you happen to know of any equations I can use to calculate the capacitance of the coils? Maybe I can at least predict what it would be.

Thanks,
Jason O

Here's a calculator that may help. It's the 3rd one down the page. It also gives you the equation, so you can do the calc yourself to check it.

http://www.westbay.ndirect.co.uk/capacita.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a bifilar coil?

A bifilar coil is a type of coil that consists of two parallel windings of wire, usually wound in opposite directions.

2. How do I calculate the capacitance of a bifilar coil?

The capacitance of a bifilar coil can be calculated using the formula C = 0.5 x k x n x d, where C is the capacitance in farads, k is the dielectric constant of the material between the windings, n is the number of turns of wire, and d is the distance between the windings.

3. What is the formula for calculating the impedance of a bifilar coil?

The impedance of a bifilar coil can be calculated using the formula Z = 2 x pi x f x L, where Z is the impedance in ohms, pi is the mathematical constant, f is the frequency in hertz, and L is the inductance of the coil in henrys.

4. Can I use the same formulas for any type of bifilar coil?

Yes, the same formulas can be used for any type of bifilar coil, as long as the parameters such as number of turns, distance between windings, and frequency remain the same.

5. What are some practical applications of bifilar coils?

Bifilar coils are commonly used in electronics for various purposes such as RF filters, transformers, and chokes. They are also used in wireless charging systems and inductors for power supplies.