Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Bang and Energy

1. Jan 5, 2005 #1
    The Big Bang was basically caused by an extreme heating up of energy, right? Well, how did that energy get there if it can neither be created or destroyed?

This question is assuming I have my facts straight.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2005 #2
    I think nobody nows what caused the big bang, or if there has only been one. And your remark about the conservation of energy; this 'rule' might be created along with the big bang itself... We're not nearly yet at the point of understanding of the beginning of the universe as we would like....

4. Jan 6, 2005 #3

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aleksandr Isaevich Solzhenitsyn

5. Jan 6, 2005 #4
    The Big Bang might have started from a white hole, which would assumes multiverses.

6. Jan 6, 2005 #5

DB

The answer might lie in string theory, saying that it is possible for high tension strings to produce high energy and continue to produce heavy mass, much heavier than the standard model of particles and then decay into particles we study today. Though it's just a theory and I don't know how the first string came about. Also, with a slight energy fluctuation matter and anti-matter can be created, with enough energy (more anti-matter), a matter/anti-matter colision could possibly form other mass and so on and so forth. But I've found all these theories confusing because quantum theory always seems to turn things around. But it's just some stuff I've read.

-Energy conservation laws would probably breakdown in creation of a universe wouldn't they?

7. Jan 6, 2005 #6
    energy conservation laws may not break down in the creation of the universe. i think the current theory is that matter and antimatter were created in equal parts, but the antimatter had a slightly shorter decay rate, so there was a slightly higher abundance of matter left over after all the matter/antimatter anihilated.

8. Jan 6, 2005 #7

DB

9. Jan 7, 2005 #8

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Chrono - As was said, the cause of the Big Bang is unknown, although there are some interesting ideas being considered (e.g., string theory, etc.). But, alas, no well supported scientific theory to explain the Big Bang source.

matt.o - There's a possible zero-sum game if you add up the positive & negative aspects of matter, energy, dark matter, dark energy, & gravity in the universe (all balances out). Check out ...
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=58558

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  10. Jan 7, 2005 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

The concept of a universe from nothing has a certain appeal. There are other mechanisms proposed that rely upon a pre existing state [strings, branes, previous universes] but, if you extrapolate these backwards as well, you still face the ultimate question: where did the very first something come from? To say they have existed forever is, at least to me, not very satisfying, but I suppose that is a matter of taste. Much has been written on the topic:

A Universe from Nothing
    http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/31_02/nothing.html
    An old standby article

Simple quantum cosmology: Vacuum energy and initial state
    http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0501014
    The most recent technical paper

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  11. Jan 8, 2005 #10
    That's pretty much what I was looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?