Understanding Orbital Mechanics: The Force Behind Planetary Motion

In summary, Dave provides an explanation of how stars and planets were able to form from the Big Bang. He states that stars and planets did not form from the Big Bang, but followed after. Anything that did not collide, missed each other, or was in stable orbits ended up forming stars and planets. Dave provides a concise and clear explanation of how gravity draws bodies together and how they fall toward each other. He says that one of three things will happen when bodies are drawn together by gravity- either they will slingshot around each other, collide, or shoot past each other. Dave encourages readers to learn more about BB theories and simulations already done by cosmologists. He says that by creating his own simulation, he can learn more about the
Kothar
Hello I was searching a community like this one and I am glad I found one.

I have a question about the beginning of the universe. I am trying to make a simulation of big bang, as I know after the big bang enormous amount of matter scatter around and they started to combine and turn into bigger masses. Ok, here is the point;

After the stars (bigger masses with mostly Hydrogen) and the planets (smaller masses) are formed they started systems. But how, how can these huge masses started to revolve around, what force caused them to not to collide with each other like the smaller masses at the beginning but instead make them to revolve around each other and around themselves.

People say use a string a stick and a mass and connect the mass to stick using the string when you turn it the tension on the string represents gravity. But still it was the kinetic force we applied on the stick and somehow a force made the planets revolve the same way. I am asking what is that force?

Sorry for the bad English + long question and thank you for your answers.

Space news on Phys.org
Kothar said:
...what force caused them to not to collide with each other...
They did. That's how we got larger masses.

You're thinking in too broad steps. For one, stars and planets did not form "from" the Big Bang, or even shortly after.

What followed the BB was a universe filled with hot dust and gas. Stars formed when these clouds of dust and gas began collapsing under gravity. As they collapsed, they preserved the angular momentum of the cloud from which they formed. There was much crashing about, but not all of it was collisions. Anything that did not collide ended up either missing each other altogether or in stable orbits.

Thank you for the answer. I did some research and found about Protoplanetary disk which supports your answer. But I am wandering how these dust clouds got the angular momentum.

The formed masses which later turned into stars and planets, why they are turning around themselves.

Thank you

Kothar said:
Thank you for the answer. I did some research and found about Protoplanetary disk which supports your answer. But I am wandering how these dust clouds got the angular momentum.

The formed masses which later turned into stars and planets, why they are turning around themselves.

Thank you

Pretend there are two specks of dust in an otherwise empty volume of space.
Give these two specks of dust some random motion relative to each other (a random speed in a random direction. Note that it would be a fabulous coincidence if the two particles had zero tangential velocity wrt each other. Unless you gave them motions that are exactly toward each other or exactly away from each other, they'll have some tangential motion.)

Now consider the centre of mass of this "system". You can see that, if you consider the entire system, the specks are already rotating with respect to each other.

Now allow gravity to act upon them, drawing them together. They will fall toward each other. One of three things will happen:
1] They will slingshot around each other, having too much kinetic energy to capture each other, and will go shooting off into the unknown, never to interact again.
2] They will collide. But remember, these are specks in a volume of space. In order to collide they would have had to have zero tangential motion. Very unlikely.
3] They shoot past each other, but have small enough kinetic energy differential that they are caught by each other's gravity and fall back toward each other. They are in orbit.

The coalescence of bodies and their orbital motions is an inevitable consequence of nothing more than their gravitational attraction and their initial random motion.

Dave, your response was the most concise and clearest explanation I've ever read regarding this topic. I've wondered the same thing as Kothar and I'm glad he asked it. Thanks Dave, I can totally visualize your specks' interactions with each other, I get it now.

Thank you for your answers Dave, it starts to make sense, I can figure it out the rest on my own I guess. When I finish the simulation I'll be glad to share it in here.

Kothar said:
Thank you for your answers Dave, it starts to make sense, I can figure it out the rest on my own I guess. When I finish the simulation I'll be glad to share it in here.

Instead of making a simulation based on your current knowledge, wouldn't that time be better spent learning about BB theories and simulations already done by cosmologists?

Last edited:
Well... this simulation is for a course project (We must do a graphic based programs with physics engines we will write), also by making my own I can learn more on the way. Also are there any chance that I can look these simulations you mentioned?

Kothar said:
Well... this simulation is for a course project (We must do a graphic based programs with physics engines we will write), also by making my own I can learn more on the way. Also are there any chance that I can look these simulations you mentioned?

Well, I didn't mean (or know of) anything specific, I just meant finding and reading some papers on the subject.

BB is one simulation, but you know, another might simply be star sytems. It's pretty straightforward to write a gravity simulator, drop a few stars/planets into it and watch them pirouette round each other.

Basically my first step will be a gravity simulator like this one http://www.nowykurier.com/toys/gravity/gravity.html then piece by piece I ll try to add what I've learned during the process. And I guess it will be fun seeing there are lots of BB theories.

What I have in mind is not just big bang, but the formation of all the galaxies as we know today. BB -> dust -> Huge Stars -> Super Nova -> Protoplanetary disks -> Systems and Galaxies. That is the process I want to simulate. Though there will be less particles than in a real galaxy :)

Kothar said:
Basically my first step will be a gravity simulator like this one http://www.nowykurier.com/toys/gravity/gravity.html then piece by piece I ll try to add what
That's a sweet simulator. I've built a couple like that but never thought to deal with collisions. Mine just continued to orbit.

I love playing with these simulators to see if I can get a stable 3-body system going. (i.e. a Sun-Earth-Moon system) It's virtually impossible.

Last edited:
I don't particularly want to start a separate thread since this question closely ties into the period of time after BB that those many conglomerations of gases formed.

The part that puzzles me is: what was stopping a homogenous distribution of mass all throughout the early Universe?

If it were homogenous then wouldn't gravity have been moot since all parts would be pulling together equally from all directions. Wouldn't that process pull the Universe back into a singularity once again (if all points were the same)?

So why did some portions of this cloud have more density than others to start this process?

What caused the fractures, cracks, imbalance? (whatever term is mentioned?)

ThomasEdison said:
So why did some portions of this cloud have more density than others to start this process?

What caused the fractures, cracks, imbalance? (whatever term is mentioned?)
That is an area of active research. BB models suggest that the initial space should have been perfectly uniform, which leads to a homogenous universe.

But note that, in order for our universe to look the way it does, the initial imbalances can have been exceedingly small. The process is self-reinforcing. The tiniest imbalances will multiply rapidly until the unvierse becomes stringy and knotty.

The inflation theory attributes the origin of large scale structures to quantum fluctuation (of the scalar field), which occurred near the beginning of Big Bang. The fluctuation is subsequently enlarged by the inflation and served as a blue-print for the large scale structures such as the superclusters.
http://universe-review.ca/F03-supercluster.htm

DaveC426913 said:
I love playing with these simulators to see if I can get a stable 3-body system going. (i.e. a Sun-Earth-Moon system) It's virtually impossible.

Dave, I've been playing with the simulator in the link a few posts up. What constitutes as a stable 3-body system? I was able to get a large mass orbited by a tiny mass and those two orbited an OMFG mass. But the orbital path was a bit eccentric, and the "sun" very slowly traveled across the screen. It lasted until I got tired of watching it. Was that a stable system?

I've been playing with this simulator for hours at work everyday, it's a blast. Is there anything else to attempt with this simulator that's a challenge? One challenge I'm having is getting two identical masses orbiting each other in a circular orbit. Do you think that's possible?

texasblitzem said:
Dave, I've been playing with the simulator in the link a few posts up. What constitutes as a stable 3-body system? I was able to get a large mass orbited by a tiny mass and those two orbited an OMFG mass. But the orbital path was a bit eccentric, and the "sun" very slowly traveled across the screen. It lasted until I got tired of watching it. Was that a stable system?
Yeah. Way to go. I had a lot of trouble with that.

As for the slow migraton across the screen, I found a way to deal with that. You can impart momentum on the central mass by "feeding" it the momentum of smaller masses.

If M is drifting to the left, along with its companion M1 and moon M11 , I'll create a small mass Mn just to the right of M, and give it a hefty rightward velocity. The velocity is not enough to have Mn escape, so it immediately gets absorbed by M. But Mn's momentum is not lost; it is added to M's momentum, which will serve to stop the migration.

The downside of course, is that you are adding mass to M, which will affect the orbit of M1.

Then again, even that can be put to use. If you add multiple Mns at the right time in M1's orbit (at perihelion), it will help to circularize M1's orbit.

Now you know how God felt 6000 years ago! :biggrin:

I managed this without help. Do I get a chocolate biscuit? :)

Actually the best way is to hold down the CTRL key and then move the screen around by pressing the LH mouse button!

Last edited:

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the most widely accepted scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a hot, dense point and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This theory is supported by evidence such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the observed expansion of the universe.

2. How did the first orbits form after the Big Bang?

After the Big Bang, the universe was filled with a hot, dense plasma of particles. As the universe expanded and cooled, these particles began to clump together due to gravitational forces. This eventually led to the formation of stars, planets, and other celestial bodies, which then began to orbit around each other due to the force of gravity.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

In addition to the cosmic microwave background radiation and the expansion of the universe, there are several other pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang theory. These include the abundance of light elements such as hydrogen and helium, the redshift of distant galaxies, and the large-scale structure of the universe.

4. What role did gravity play in the formation of the first orbits?

Gravity played a crucial role in the formation of the first orbits after the Big Bang. The force of gravity caused particles to clump together, forming larger and larger structures, eventually leading to the formation of stars and planets. Without gravity, these orbits would not have been possible.

5. What is the significance of studying the Big Bang and the first orbits?

Studying the Big Bang and the first orbits allows us to better understand the origins and evolution of the universe. It also helps us to understand the fundamental laws and forces that govern the universe, such as gravity and electromagnetism. This knowledge can have practical applications in fields such as cosmology, astrophysics, and technology development.