Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Bang and the singularity

1. Mar 24, 2015 #1
    If the Big Bang created space time, what did the singularity of the Big Bang "rest" on?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The "singularity" is just the place where out math model breaks down. It is not a physical place/thing. The Big Bang Theory is silent about what happened earlier than one Plank Time after the singularity, it just described what happened SINCE one Plank Time.

4. Mar 24, 2015 #3
    I'm sorry I worded that incorrectly.

5. Mar 24, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, if I did not answer your question, then re-ask it with different wording.

6. Mar 24, 2015 #5
    What did the mass that made the Big Bang rest on if their wasn't the fabric of space time?

7. Mar 24, 2015 #6
    I'm sorry I have trouble expressing what's in my mind with words sometimes.

8. Mar 24, 2015 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Unknown. We have no reliable/testable theory as to anything prior to one Plank Time. There are theories, including that space-time was created at the singularity, that space-time has always existed, that there are multiple universes, take your pick. Since none of them are supported by any evidence, I personally am just agnostic about the whole thing.

9. Mar 24, 2015 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook