Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Bang = Big Flow (RHIC Results)

1. Apr 20, 2005 #1

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/04/18/liquid.surprise.ap/index.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2005 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

this could provide ways to test the LQG picture of conditions around the classical BH singularity (what Ashtekar calls the 'quantum regime' that replaces the singularity when the model is quantized)
    very exciting. thanks for the link.

here is a supplemental link which has animated graphics showing the liquid-like behavior

http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/pubaf/pr/PR_display.asp?prID=05-38

this also has links to peer-reviewed papers from BNL physicists

for example this technical paper
    http://arxiv.org/abs/nucl-ex/0501009
    talks about:

" (1) initial energy densities above the critical values predicted by lattice QCD for establishment of a Quark-Gluon Plasma (QGP);

(2) nearly ideal fluid flow, marked by constituent interactions of very short mean free path, established most probably at a stage preceding hadron formation;..."

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  4. Apr 20, 2005 #3
    That is awesome. Interesting to think the universe behaved like a liquid. I wonder why it did that. I wonder if we still see the universe behave in this manner to a degree.

5. Apr 20, 2005 #4
    Oddly enough, this is what the Qu'ran says happened. Genesis, too, sort of...(Note: I am NOT being a proponent of anything in this post, I am just struck by the parallel.)

6. Apr 21, 2005 #5

hellfire

Science Advisor

I think they mean perfect fluid, which is a fluid without viscosity and no heat conduction, or, equivalently, isotropic in its rest frame. As far as I know, the reasons for that in the primitive universe were a missing preferred direction in space and a causal contact. I wonder why did this plasma behave in that way.

7. Apr 21, 2005 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's important to note that these experimental results are only said to correspond to the early state of the universe. In fact, this "new state of matter" has been achieved by colliding gold nuclei in an accelerator. While they have a good reason to call this state pre-hadron, that doesn't mean it is necessarialy the same as the pre-hadron state of the early universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?