Big Bang = Big Flow (RHIC Results)

In summary: For instance, the early universe might have been in a more disordered phase, or the conditions might have been different for the particles in the plasma.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/04/18/liquid.surprise.ap/index.html

New results from a particle collider suggest that the universe behaved like a liquid in its earliest moments, not the fiery gas that was thought to have pervaded the first microseconds of existence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Phobos said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/04/18/liquid.surprise.ap/index.html

this could provide ways to test the LQG picture of conditions around the classical BH singularity (what Ashtekar calls the 'quantum regime' that replaces the singularity when the model is quantized)
very exciting. thanks for the link.

here is a supplemental link which has animated graphics showing the liquid-like behavior

http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/pubaf/pr/PR_display.asp?prID=05-38

this also has links to peer-reviewed papers from BNL physicists

for example this technical paper
http://arxiv.org/abs/nucl-ex/0501009
talks about:

" (1) initial energy densities above the critical values predicted by lattice QCD for establishment of a Quark-Gluon Plasma (QGP);

(2) nearly ideal fluid flow, marked by constituent interactions of very short mean free path, established most probably at a stage preceding hadron formation;..."

Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome. Interesting to think the universe behaved like a liquid. I wonder why it did that. I wonder if we still see the universe behave in this manner to a degree.

Oddly enough, this is what the Qu'ran says happened. Genesis, too, sort of...(Note: I am NOT being a proponent of anything in this post, I am just struck by the parallel.)

misskitty said:
That is awesome. Interesting to think the universe behaved like a liquid. I wonder why it did that. I wonder if we still see the universe behave in this manner to a degree.
I think they mean perfect fluid, which is a fluid without viscosity and no heat conduction, or, equivalently, isotropic in its rest frame. As far as I know, the reasons for that in the primitive universe were a missing preferred direction in space and a causal contact. I wonder why did this plasma behave in that way.

It's important to note that these experimental results are only said to correspond to the early state of the universe. In fact, this "new state of matter" has been achieved by colliding gold nuclei in an accelerator. While they have a good reason to call this state pre-hadron, that doesn't mean it is necessarialy the same as the pre-hadron state of the early universe.

1. What is the Big Bang = Big Flow theory?

The Big Bang = Big Flow theory is a concept in particle physics that explains the creation of the universe and the formation of matter. It suggests that the universe began as a very hot and dense state, and through expansion and cooling, subatomic particles were created and eventually formed into the matter we see today.

2. What is RHIC and how does it relate to the Big Bang = Big Flow theory?

RHIC (Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider) is a particle accelerator located at Brookhaven National Laboratory. It is used to create collisions between heavy ions, such as gold nuclei, at high energies. These collisions simulate the conditions of the early universe and allow scientists to study the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures and densities, providing evidence for the Big Bang = Big Flow theory.

3. What are the main results from RHIC that support the Big Bang = Big Flow theory?

The main results from RHIC include the observation of a state of matter known as quark-gluon plasma, which is similar to the state of matter that existed in the early universe. This supports the idea that the universe was once in a highly dense and hot state. Additionally, RHIC has shown that the matter created in these collisions exhibits a type of behavior known as flow, which is also a key aspect of the Big Bang = Big Flow theory.

4. How does the Big Bang = Big Flow theory help us understand the universe?

The Big Bang = Big Flow theory helps us understand the origins of the universe and the fundamental building blocks of matter. It also provides insight into the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures and densities, which can help us better understand the natural laws that govern our universe.

5. Are there any potential implications or applications of the Big Bang = Big Flow theory?

The Big Bang = Big Flow theory has many potential implications and applications in various fields of science. For example, it can help us understand the formation of galaxies and other structures in the universe. It also has implications for nuclear physics and could potentially lead to new technologies, such as fusion energy. Additionally, the study of quark-gluon plasma at RHIC could have applications in understanding the behavior of matter in extreme environments, such as in supernova explosions or neutron stars.