Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Big Bang Theory whiteboards?

1. Dec 10, 2016 #1

arivero

Gold Member

Any pointers about where to get information and perhaps pictures of the different whiteboards shown in Big Bang Theory?

I am particularly interested on the season where Sheldon abandons string theory; the boards for this chapter (155, season 7 ep 20, aired 10th April 2014) seem to show some M-theory + D-branes generic content, and the next day seem to be some model building with GUT groups but not the common presentation.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2016 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you visited https://thebigblogtheory.wordpress.com/ ?
    (Yes, I know the last entry is November 2013... so this doesn't apply to the particular whiteboard you ask about.)

[I wonder if this blog is run by an old classmate of mine. EDIT---based on the next two replies, I think it is.]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  4. Dec 10, 2016 #3

arivero

Gold Member

I think the blog is/was by Saltberz himself. I could try to ask him, but I am not sure if he is still the author of the whiteboards.

5. Dec 10, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

David is still the author of the whiteboards.

6. Dec 11, 2016 #5
    Photos! :)

7. Dec 11, 2016 #6

arivero

Gold Member

I am sorry I'd need a Full HD copy.

This is one upload_2016-12-12_2-3-19.png from ch 21, so the day or week after Sheldon leaves string theory. It seems it is building a GUT multiplet, but in a very peculiar way.

The whiteboard next to the exit door seems related upload_2016-12-12_2-7-52.png as it is building something out of SU(N).

Sorry the bad quality. This was from a supossedly HD copy, but better I will try to reproduce the chapter in Netflix.

8. Dec 11, 2016 #7

arivero

Gold Member

Ok, in the first minute there is a well focused one. Note the peculiar way of arriving up to the right-handed neutrino.
    upload_2016-12-12_2-28-15.png

9. Dec 11, 2016 #8

arivero

Gold Member

And here a well focused version of the other whiteboard
    upload_2016-12-12_2-41-36.png

So it seems the guys have been working some variant of SU(5) / SO(10) GUT, have them?

10. Dec 12, 2016 #9

arivero

Gold Member

And got time to look at chapter 155... the day he decides to break with String Theory, the board in the entry door shows the M-theory diagram:

upload_2016-12-12_16-27-0.png

Is it the last attempt to some particle pheno from string? It looks a concrete selection of branes.

11. Dec 12, 2016 #10

arivero

Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  12. Dec 14, 2016 #11

arivero

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted