Exploring the Scientific Accuracy of Whiteboards in The Big Bang Theory

In summary, the whiteboards from Chapter 155 of Season 7 of Big Bang Theory show some M-theory + D-branes generic content, and the next day seem to be some model building with GUT groups but not the common presentation.
arivero
Gold Member
Any pointers about where to get information and perhaps pictures of the different whiteboards shown in Big Bang Theory?

I am particularly interested on the season where Sheldon abandons string theory; the boards for this chapter (155, season 7 ep 20, aired 10th April 2014) seem to show some M-theory + D-branes generic content, and the next day seem to be some model building with GUT groups but not the common presentation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky and cnh1995
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you visited https://thebigblogtheory.wordpress.com/ ?
(Yes, I know the last entry is November 2013... so this doesn't apply to the particular whiteboard you ask about.)

[I wonder if this blog is run by an old classmate of mine. EDIT---based on the next two replies, I think it is.]

Last edited:
I think the blog is/was by Saltberz himself. I could try to ask him, but I am not sure if he is still the author of the whiteboards.

David is still the author of the whiteboards.

arivero said:
Any pointers about where to get information and perhaps pictured of the different whiteboards shown in Big Bang Theory?
Photos! :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Photos! :)
I am sorry I'd need a Full HD copy.

This is one
upload_2016-12-12_2-3-19.png
from ch 21, so the day or week after Sheldon leaves string theory. It seems it is building a GUT multiplet, but in a very peculiar way.

The whiteboard next to the exit door seems related
upload_2016-12-12_2-7-52.png
as it is building something out of SU(N).

Sorry the bad quality. This was from a supossedly HD copy, but better I will try to reproduce the chapter in Netflix.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Ok, in the first minute there is a well focused one. Note the peculiar way of arriving up to the right-handed neutrino.
upload_2016-12-12_2-28-15.png

And here a well focused version of the other whiteboard
upload_2016-12-12_2-41-36.png

So it seems the guys have been working some variant of SU(5) / SO(10) GUT, have them?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
And got time to look at chapter 155... the day he decides to break with String Theory, the board in the entry door shows the M-theory diagram:

upload_2016-12-12_16-27-0.png

Is it the last attempt to some particle pheno from string? It looks a concrete selection of branes.

1. What is the purpose of the whiteboards in "Big Bang Theory"?

The whiteboards in "Big Bang Theory" are used by the characters, who are primarily scientists, to brainstorm and visually represent complex scientific theories and equations. They are also used as a comedic device to illustrate the characters' intelligence and quirks.

2. Are the equations and theories on the whiteboards accurate and scientifically sound?

Most of the equations and theories shown on the whiteboards in "Big Bang Theory" are accurate and scientifically sound. However, some of them are exaggerated or simplified for comedic effect.

3. Who writes the equations and theories on the whiteboards?

The equations and theories on the whiteboards are written by the show's writers and scientific consultants. The actors themselves do not write them, but they are trained to make it appear as if they are writing them in real time.

4. Do the whiteboards ever change or are they the same in every episode?

The whiteboards in "Big Bang Theory" are constantly changing and are different in every episode. This is because the writers and scientific consultants are always coming up with new material to display on the whiteboards.

5. Are the whiteboards authentic or are they digitally added in post-production?

The whiteboards in "Big Bang Theory" are authentic and are physically present on set during filming. However, some of the equations and theories may be digitally added in post-production to enhance the visual effects.