Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Bang=White Hole

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    Supposedly at the time of the Big Bang everything expaned away from everything from a point of singularity. Could our universe be the product of a white hole? Making the unverse that we know being only a small fraction of an unknowingly larger universe.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2
    er im' not sure if i read that correctly but you stated that everything expanded away from a point of singularity. but as far as i know there is no such 'singularity' in order to understand how the universe began you have get rid of special points of references...

i think that space itself is expanding and the objects are being dragged along with it a good 2d model is blowing up a balloon... if you only think of the balloon material as space and as it expands everything expands away from everything with no reference points.

4. Dec 19, 2009 #3
    Michio Kaku described the universe as an inflating bubble. the bubble deriving from another bubble. what would suck matter from one bubble and inflate another? a white hole has never been observed. if was then that would mean a bubble can be born from several points from the parent bubble. perhaps one hasn't been observed because a universe can only be born from one point or one white hole. assuming this is true, its seems that the umbilical coil has been severed.

so assuming that there's a multiverse and universes are A sexual, has our universe given birth to a universe? if so, how many did it create? how big does a black hole have to be to create a universe similar to our own? how many universes can their be?

completely no foundation i know! but fun to think about :)

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4
    The only way this makes sense is to think of it as a closed universe which will result in a Big Crunch. That is, eventually all the matter and radiation in the universe would end up in one black hole. Once everything was back in one singularity, it would break, puncturing through spacetime into the next universe or turning inside out causing a Big Bang. If you try to think of each black hole making it's own universe is clearly cannot work that way, because when black holes collide, it would cause the destruction of two universes instantaneously and making one larger universe.. it just doesn't work logically.

6. Dec 20, 2009 #5

xantox

Gold Member

There are various proposals in quantum gravity research considering that quantum effects could replace standard black hole singularities by bounces, causing geodesics to diverge again past the avoided singularity into another region of spacetime and behaving like a cosmological big-bang. In that case, a black hole (not a white hole) could be considered indeed the generator of "another universe". Other completely different mechanisms such as chaotic inflation have been theorized and which would also lead to the creation of a finite or an infinite number of causally disconnected regions of spacetime. The status of these proposals is very speculative, but you can at least wonder on them.

7. Dec 25, 2009 #6
    The idea that each black hole created creates a new universe is plainly preposterous. What happens then when two black holes merge? Both universes are emidiately destroyed and a new, larger one made? Does the baby universe have inflow of materials as the black hole intakes matter and radiation??

What you are talking about here is a proposal which is fun to think about but fully unsound in reality. Sorry

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  8. Dec 27, 2009 #7
    Well as there almost allways is two sides to everything, like hot - cold, Dark - light, I think since we know there exist black holes, there should exist white holes spewing out matter.

I have long thought about the creation of universe and one of my ideas are as follow.

A black hole can only contain so and so much energy before it gets "filled" up and has to release, there by turning itself into a white hole that spews out matter. Just because we have'nt found white holes does not mean they don't exist.

So for the big bang theory. Maybe we are not the first universe, maybe we are just one number in sequel of a pulsating universe. The singularity making big bang.....a super - super massive black hole, filled up to the point where it has to release matter, therefore "BANG" white hole spewing out matter. apparently this is still happening as the universe is expanding, but at some point the white hole will be "empty" and turn back into a black hole, starting to suck everything back in.

My wild crazy idea of the big bang. A pulsating universe og which we can be the first pulse or the 1000th pulse.

9. Dec 28, 2009 #8
    White holes are essentially time-reversed black-holes. They also need to expand forever or else they'll collapse from their gravity and become a black-hole. There's also some topological theorem to the effect that a white hole has to exist from the very beginning and "there can be only One" so it looks similar to the Big Bang in some respects. Our Universe might have sprang from one, maybe... maybe not. No one yet knows. Certainly origin from a white hole would look a lot like the standard Copernican principle based Big Bang, but telling the two apart in observational terms is what turns armchair theorising into actual scientific cosmology/astronomy. Publish a means of testing the two from the data we have or can acquire and you'll be on the road to being a real cosmologist.

It's crazy... but is it crazy enough?

10. Dec 29, 2009 #9
    Interesting question, especially if you keep present the fact that white holes are just an assumption maybe, born by the principal of the symmetry in the universe ( the opposite of the black holes). As time has started to exist from the moment of the Big Bang, logically we can say that it has run foreword without stopping, from that moment up to now that I'm writing. Now, if you consider a white hole as the opposite of a black hole, shouldn't time run "backward" (I’m sorry, I'm not finding the right word in English).
    In this case we would have a new universe coexisting in a parallel way with our universe, but with the time that runs against itself???

Another crazy idea.....but who knows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?