Exploring the Possibilities of a Pre-Big Bang Civilization

• Thread starter Kalantir
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the big bang theory and the concept of space and time before and after it. The speaker shared their thoughts on the possibility of a civilization existing outside the observable universe and asked for more information on the theories of relativity and cosmology. The conversation concluded with a suggestion to learn more about special relativity in order to better understand these concepts.
Kalantir
Hi. My name is Lyle and I have some ideas floating around i want to share with you all.

It started when I was thinking about the big bang. What caused it? I mean... events take place for a reason. Cause and effect. Based off of what very little I know, I figure the big bang probably happened when a huge amount of mass collected in one location. I can only assume that there have been many in the past and there will probably be many in the future when gravity pulls all that mass back together.

This led me to another thought. Before our last big bang, whatever the most intelligent species were probably had access to more amazing technology then we can even fathom. They would probably be aware that a big bang was going to happen. Would it be possible for them to travel outside the blast radius of the big bang and form a civilization there?

If the universe has been around for an infinite amount of time, than that means there have been many chances for something like this to happen. So I figure that if it is possible, it almost certainly has happened and probably more than once.

Also, could it be possible that the universe is much much larger than we even suspect? Could there be many big bangs going on in many different locations? If so, what would happen if these big bang locations slowly got pulled together by gravity? Would there then be a series of many big bangs in one location?

Anyways... This is just some of the stuff I was thinking about yesterday and I was wondering if any of this is even remotely possible. The idea of a greater civilization living around the outer edges of the universe is pretty awesome thought to me. I don't really know anything about physics so I thought Id ask you guys about it.

Space news on Phys.org
Hi, Lyle,

Welcome to PF!

Kalantir said:
It started when I was thinking about the big bang. What caused it? I mean... events take place for a reason. Cause and effect.
In standard cosmological models based on general relativity, time only exists for t>0. So for each t that does exist, there is a previous time that caused it, but all these times are >0.

Kalantir said:
Based off of what very little I know, I figure the big bang probably happened when a huge amount of mass collected in one location. I can only assume that there have been many in the past and there will probably be many in the future when gravity pulls all that mass back together.
Nope. Please see this FAQ entry: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506991

Kalantir said:
Also, could it be possible that the universe is much much larger than we even suspect?
Please see this FAQ entry: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506986

-Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the quick response. I'm having a hard time grasping the idea that time and space did not exist before the big bang. If the observable universe is expanding, where could it expand to if space didnt exist already?

Kalantir said:
Thank you for the quick response. I'm having a hard time grasping the idea that time and space did not exist before the big bang. If the observable universe is expanding, where could it expand to if space didnt exist already?

The usual way of describing it verbally is that space itself is what's expanding. Maybe this will help? -- https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=261161

Kalantir said:
Anyways... This is just some of the stuff I was thinking about yesterday and I was wondering if any of this is even remotely possible. The idea of a greater civilization living around the outer edges of the universe is pretty awesome thought to me. I don't really know anything about physics so I thought Id ask you guys about it.

As an avid fan of Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe and the book in the series, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, it would be nice to think that some advanced civilization could think of a way around both ends, big bang and big crunch, but (speaking as a novice) I suspect that it would take a universe sized energy (or, in Douglas Adams' speak, something really really big) to achieve this. For one thing, I think the tidal forces would be next to impossible to overcome. But at a more scientific level (from this layman :wink: ) it's not that space (and all the junk that's in it) would expand and contract, but spacetime, which would be mighty hard to stand aside from.

Where can i learn more about why they believe it to be this way? I am still just having a hard time believing in this idea without understanding more about it. To me, the idea that the universe just popped into existence is as hard to swallow as an omnipotent being creating it.

What do I google? LCDM?

Kalantir said:
Where can i learn more about why they believe it to be this way? I am still just having a hard time believing in this idea without understanding more about it. To me, the idea that the universe just popped into existence is as hard to swallow as an omnipotent being creating it.

What do I google? LCDM?

Googling isn't likely to be a very effective way of learning about relativity and cosmology. I would suggest starting by learning special relativity. You can't really understand cosmology without understanding relativity, and special relativity is easier to start with than general relativity. A good book to start with is Takeuchi, An Illustrated Guide to Relativity. If you dig into that and have questions, feel free to post in the relativity forum, and we'll be happy to try to help!

-Ben

1. What evidence is there for the existence of a pre-Big Bang civilization?

As of now, there is no concrete evidence for the existence of a pre-Big Bang civilization. The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity and expanded rapidly, making it difficult to gather any evidence from before this event. Some theories suggest that traces of a pre-Big Bang civilization may be found in the cosmic microwave background radiation, but this is still a topic of debate among scientists.

2. How could a civilization exist before the Big Bang?

The concept of time before the Big Bang is still a mystery, and it is unclear if a civilization could have existed in a pre-Big Bang universe. Some theories propose that the universe has undergone multiple cycles of expansion and contraction, allowing for the possibility of a pre-Big Bang civilization. However, this is still a highly speculative idea in the scientific community.

3. What would a pre-Big Bang civilization look like?

Since there is no evidence or direct observation of a pre-Big Bang civilization, it is difficult to speculate on what it would look like. Some theories suggest that such a civilization could have advanced technology and knowledge beyond our current understanding, while others propose that it may have been drastically different from any civilization we know of.

4. How would a pre-Big Bang civilization have affected our current universe?

If a pre-Big Bang civilization did exist, it is possible that their actions could have had an impact on the formation of our current universe. For example, they could have left behind traces in the cosmic microwave background radiation or influenced the conditions that led to the Big Bang. However, without any evidence of their existence, it is impossible to determine the extent of their impact.

5. Could we ever find concrete proof of a pre-Big Bang civilization?

It is currently impossible to say whether we will ever find concrete proof of a pre-Big Bang civilization. The technology and knowledge required to explore the pre-Big Bang universe are beyond our current capabilities. However, as our understanding of the universe continues to evolve, it is possible that we may one day uncover evidence or clues that point to the existence of a pre-Big Bang civilization.