BIG box of Legos for Christmas

In summary, tribdog got moonbear a big box of Legos for Christmas. She is excited to start building things with them.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So, I finally returned to my office today, and sitting in front of the door is a BIG box. As I shove it into my office while getting my jacket off, I see it has tribdog's return address on it. He got me a BIG box of Legos for Christmas! :biggrin: :approve: Now you all don't have to listen to me complain nobody buys me Legos anymore. :biggrin:

Thanks tribdog! :!) (This might even make me stop laughing about those fake fingernails you attached to yourself while I was away...hmm...nah...:rofl:)

Physics news on Phys.org
YAY! What a COOL gift! That tribdog... I don't care WHAT his mom says about him... he's OK! :biggrin:

You should call him and thank him :wink: :smile:

The_Professional said:
You should call him and thank him :wink: :smile:

Call him? Now, when would either of us be offline long enough to get a phone call through? LOL! I'm quite certain this is the best place to thank him and know he'll see it. :biggrin:

That's so sweet! :approve: Just don't let trib near them with anything hot. :wink:

You can build a FORT!

Kewl!

Do you guys all know each other in person?

Moonbear said:
He got me a BIG box of Legos for Christmas! :biggrin:

:rolleyes: Not content with 'math', you now want to make the plural of Lego 'Legos'? Give me strength, dear Lord, to get thru this...

On a lighter note, you might want to see that we have a whole county made out of Lego(s) e.g. whole malls made of the stuff:
http://www.lego.com/legoland/windsor/parkmap/knightskingdom.asp?locale=2057
Take the virtual tour. You'll probably need smelling salts though, if your reaction to a measly box is anything to go by. Here in England we are also proudly working on genetically engineered modular plastic folk. Nothing to do with Legoland, we're just short of bus drivers in London at present.

What are you going to make with your lego(s), legos, legoes, legose, leghose, legohs, leggoes, or what ever they are, :biggrin:, Moonbear? I suggest that you reconstruct the human genome.

Just don't let Tribdog get anywhere near it!

Boy, that tribdog sounds like such a sweetheart. I'll bet the dummy didn't remember to put the card inside the box though did he?

Dude! I loved legos as a kid! I stopped playing with them when I was like 13 though because peolpe I knew though of them as "kiddy" toys. Man, I miss playing "lego wars" with my friends... We built medieval armies and death machines! Mwhahaha! Good times.

Weird.

You lot say 'legos', but you also say 'math'.
We say 'lego', but 'maths'.

Stand by for more shocking revelations...

brewnog said:
Weird.

LOL! If you have just one lonely little block, you can call it a lego. And the brand is Lego, but if you have a whole box of them, they are legos. :biggrin: I've never understood why you say maths. Do you also go to Englishes and Histories classes? We should put together an English to English dictionary for those who get confused around here.

brewnog said:
Weird.

Is there an echo on this thread?

Entropy said:
Dude! I loved legos as a kid! I stopped playing with them when I was like 13 though because peolpe I knew though of them as "kiddy" toys. Man, I miss playing "lego wars" with my friends... We built medieval armies and death machines! Mwhahaha! Good times.

Never let something as silly as growing up get in the way of playing with toys! Legos are something you never get too old to play with!

tribdog said:
Boy, that tribdog sounds like such a sweetheart. I'll bet the dummy didn't remember to put the card inside the box though did he?

LOL! Nope, he forgot to include the card. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
LOL! If you have just one lonely little block, you can call it a lego. And the brand is Lego, but if you have a whole box of them, they are legos. :biggrin: I've never understood why you say maths. Do you also go to Englishes and Histories classes? We should put together an English to English dictionary for those who get confused around here.

Actually, if you have one individual block, you have a Lego brick, and if you have many, you have Lego bricks. Still not Legos. :biggrin:
Incidentally, if you have a single lonely sheep, you have a sheep, but if you have a whole flock of them, you have...? :P
As for maths; Surely a contaction for mathematics? With proper apostrophe use, maths should probably be spelled math's (as a contractive, rather than a posessive).

P.S. I love Lego. I had more of the little spacemen and space ships than I can count! Then all the sets got mixed up in one box, and it became impossible to make any of the original models as I couldn't find any of the bits.

Moonbear said:
If you have just one lonely little block, you can call it a lego.

When did anyone have just one Lego block? That would be ridiculous!

Moonbear said:
I've never understood why you say maths. Do you also go to Englishes and Histories classes? We should put together an English to English dictionary for those who get confused around here.

Nope, we definitely go to English lessons (and they're lessons, not classes). You mean to say you get taught English and not American? I'm shocked! A dictionary would be good though, as long as you guys are treated as the foreign lot!

Moonbear said:
Yeah, but just wait until you hear the English word for zucchini.

Courgette? Whats wrong with courgette? :P
Your word for aubegine is worse :wink:

matthyaouw said:
Courgette? Whats wrong with courgette? :P
Your word for aubegine is worse :wink:
Do you mean aubergine?

The American word is much more descriptive. You can guess what it looks like just from the name.

BobG said:
Do you mean aubergine?

The American word is much more descriptive. You can guess what it looks like just from the name.
Great picture BobG, I'm guessing that's you?

BobG said:
Do you mean aubergine?

What's an aubergine?

And you call them Lego bricks? That's far too many words for such a tiny thing, don't you think? This from a bunch of people that "Hoover" their houses. At least I haven't turned any brand names into verbs yet...at least not that I'm aware of. :rofl:

AFIK, aubergine is a color. (Something along the lines of an eggplant color)

Sigh :rolleyes:

Aubergine is an eggplant.

LOL! Tsu, I think we're better off with our Spanish than our English...at least that silly British English. :rofl:

BobG said:
Sigh :rolleyes:

Aubergine is an eggplant.
Well, why didn't you just SAY eggplant? An eggplant is an eggplant! Aubergine is a color in the Designer Barbie Crayon Box! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't call them Lego bricks, I call it Lego.

Your chickens must be pretty brave to lay eggs which resemble aubergines!

And I don't Hoover my house, I Dyson it! Besides, I bet you've listened to a tannoy at some point, perhaps whilst putting sellotape on your jeep!

brewnog said:
I don't call them Lego bricks, I call it Lego.

Your chickens must be pretty brave to lay eggs which resemble aubergines!

And I don't Hoover my house, I Dyson it! Besides, I bet you've listened to a tannoy at some point, perhaps whilst putting sellotape on your jeep!

Is sellotape anything like spellotape? I've been reading Harry Potter books lately. :wink:

Dyson, isn't that a brand of chicken? Oh, no, that's Tyson. Nevermind.

You call it Lego? You do know you can get more than one, right? The set tribdog sent me has 1000 Legos in it, hardly just one Lego! Eggplant is egg-shaped. Perhaps more the size of an ostrich egg than a chicken egg though. I haven't a clue what a tannoy is, but we do have Jeeps! :approve: Though, I've never owned one, so can't put anything on my Jeep.

I love how the same language can be completely different. Do Australians have words that differ from those used in the UK?

Moonbear said:
Do Australians have words that differ from those used in the UK?

Yes they do! I only have to think about a spunk in thongs and I'm amused!

Moonbear said:
At least I haven't turned any brand names into verbs yet...at least not that I'm aware of. :rofl:

You've never Scotch-taped stuff or Xeroxed documents or Tefloned your pipe thread fittings ? :eek:

You don't know what you're missing ! :rolleyes: Ask brewnog. He's Sellotaped tonnes of stuff.

And it's 'maths' because it's a contraction of 'mathematics' that would strictly have to be written 'math's'.

Legos! Love those!

Gokul43201 said:
You've never Scotch-taped stuff or Xeroxed documents or Tefloned your pipe thread fittings ? :eek:

:uhh: Okay, I've Xeroxed stuff, but only because people started looking at me funny when I said I was going to photocopy it, or worse, if I said I needed dittoes! I just tape stuff, though I used to ask for Scotch tape by brand to mean a type (the clear plastic kind as opposed to masking tape). I've never Tefloned anything. Never heard anyone say it that way either. I tape the pipe fittings, and it happens to be Teflon tape.

Moonbear, you ever blu-tacked?
Gokul, I've sellotaped more stuff than you would believe!

I just remembered that you guys think a fanny is a bum... AHHAHAHAAA! Oh so mature...

brewnog said:
Moonbear, you ever blu-tacked?

:uhh: Not that I know of.

Gokul, I've sellotaped more stuff than you would believe!

Okay, from the name, I was guessing you mean celophane tape, same as what I meant by Scotch tape, but now I'm wondering if sellotape is more like duct tape?