How do I only work 3.5 days a week but still have a full-time job?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commute
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's unique work schedule where they live in one town on the weekends and work in another during the week, only commuting once each way per week. They do not work in their home town and work four full days a week, yet still manage to spend as many days at home as they do at work. The speaker explains that this is possible because a full day of work only takes about 8 hours, so they can easily accomplish four full days of work in three and a half days (minus half the unknown commute time).
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I live in one town on the weekend and work in another during the week, commuting only once each way per week. I do not work in my home town.

I work four full days a week, yet in any given week I manage to spend as many days at home as I do at work. How do I manage this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: A full day of work takes about 8 hours. So four full days of work can be easily accomplished in three and a half days (minus half the unknown commute time).

You work during your commute?

jimmysnyder said:
Answer: A full day of work takes about 8 hours. So four full days of work can be easily accomplished in three and a half days (minus half the unknown commute time).
Good one Jimmy! It's a true story. Still stumps people when I tell them.

What is a "Big commute"?

A "Big commute" refers to a long distance commute, typically from the suburbs to a city or from one city to another. It can also refer to a commute that takes a significant amount of time, regardless of distance.

Why is having a "Big commute" a concern?

Having a "Big commute" can be a concern for several reasons. It can lead to increased stress, fatigue, and reduced work-life balance. It can also have negative effects on the environment and contribute to traffic congestion and air pollution.

What are some strategies for dealing with a "Big commute"?

Some strategies for dealing with a "Big commute" include carpooling or using public transportation, if available. Flexible work arrangements, such as telecommuting, can also help reduce the impact of a long commute. Planning ahead and using navigation apps to avoid traffic can also be helpful.

What are the potential health effects of a "Big commute"?

A "Big commute" can have negative impacts on both physical and mental health. Prolonged sitting, exposure to air pollution, and increased stress can lead to a variety of health issues, including cardiovascular disease, obesity, and anxiety.

How does the concept of a "Big commute" tie into urban planning and sustainability?

The concept of a "Big commute" is important in urban planning and sustainability because it highlights the need for efficient and sustainable transportation options. By reducing the distance and time of commutes, cities can improve the quality of life for their residents and reduce their carbon footprint.