Universe Expansion: Is a Big Crunch Imminent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that the universe is expanding at an increasing rate, and how this affects the possibility of a big crunch. It is explained that the expansion used to be decelerating, leading to the possibility of a big crunch, but it is now known to be accelerating. Therefore, it is concluded that there will not be a big crunch unless the acceleration slows down in the future.
jjgillis1
First of all I'm a physics n00b so forgive me for intruding upon you people, whom I consider to be the pinnacle of humanity. I've always heard the universe is flying apart at a faster and faster rate as time passes. The more distant the galaxy the more redshifted it is, meaning the faster its flying away from us, but the further out we look the further back in time we look, meaning galaxies were flying apart faster in the past.

does this not mean the universe is slowing down and a big crunch is imminent? what am I not understanding here?

Space news on Phys.org
The expansion of the universe used to be decelerating, but is now accelerating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_universe

Before it was determined that the expansion was reaccelerating, nobody knew whether the universe was destined for a big crunch (deceleration stops the expansion and turns it around) or infinite expansion (deceleration never succeeds in stopping the expansion).

Now that we know it's accelerating, we know for sure that there won't be a Big Crunch.

Unless for some reason the acceleration starts to slow down in the future for some reason then there shouldn't be a big crunch.

1. What is universe expansion?

Universe expansion refers to the phenomenon where the space between galaxies is increasing, causing them to move away from each other. This expansion is believed to have started with the Big Bang and is still ongoing.

2. How do we know that the universe is expanding?

We know that the universe is expanding through various observations, such as the redshift of light from distant galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation. These observations show that galaxies are moving away from each other and that the space between them is increasing.

3. What is the Big Crunch theory?

The Big Crunch theory suggests that the expansion of the universe will eventually slow down and reverse, causing all matter to collapse back into a single point. This is the opposite of the Big Bang theory, where the universe started as a single point and expanded.

4. Is a Big Crunch imminent?

Based on current observations and theories, it is unlikely that a Big Crunch is imminent. The expansion of the universe is actually accelerating, which goes against the idea of a Big Crunch. However, there are still uncertainties and ongoing research in this area.

5. What are the implications of a Big Crunch?

If a Big Crunch were to occur, it would mean the end of the universe as we know it. All matter would be compressed into a single point, possibly leading to another Big Bang and a new universe. However, this is just a theory and there are other possibilities for the fate of the universe.