Exploring Life After the Big Crunch: The Fate of the Universe and Multiverse

• Thread starter Hawking14
  • Start date
In summary, after the Big Crunch, it is unlikely that the universe or multiverse will support Life due to the collapse of all known physics. The existence of Tachyons, particles with velocities faster than the speed of light, does not change this outcome. The final singularity of the Big Crunch is not part of space-time, so it is not possible for tachyons to exist within it. Therefore, the answer to whether the universe or multiverse will support Life after the Big Crunch remains "no". Thank you to all who contributed to this conversation.
Hawking14
After the Big Crunch, will the universe or multiverse support Life?

Space news on Phys.org
Well, considering that it is a Big "Crunch" and that the universe will have shrunken down to a point that all known physics disintegrates, I'd say no.

Lamdbaenergy said:
Well, considering that it is a Big "Crunch" and that the universe will have shrunken down to a point that all known physics disintegrates, I'd say no.
Then what about Tachyons?

Tachyons?
I'm honestly not sure what those kinds of particles would have to do with the collapse of an entire universe.

I guess,Nothing! But there must be something like Tachyons having v=c... Right?

Hawking14 said:
I guess,Nothing! But there must be something like Tachyons having v=c... Right?

Tachyons are particles where the case of [itex] v > c [/itex] always applies. Their velocities are always faster than [itex] c [/itex] and they are forbidden from traveling any slower.

Oh Yeah, I forgot that... Sorry :)

Hawking14 said:
what about Tachyons?

If they exist, they exist within the universe, and if there's a Big Crunch, the universe ends, along with everything within it. So the answer to your question remains "no", as Lambdaenergy said.

Let me venture a guess. You think of the tachyons as having space-like world lines. And since the final singularity of the big crunch is space-like it might contain space-like curves i.e. tachyons. But the singularity is not part of space-time so the answer is no.

Thank you all for your answers! It helped me a lot... :D
How to close this thread ? Mentors please close this thread...

What is the Big Crunch?

The Big Crunch is a theoretical event in the history of the universe where, instead of continuing to expand, the universe begins to contract. This contraction would eventually lead to the collapse of the universe into a singularity, similar to the beginning of the universe in the Big Bang theory.

What is the fate of the universe after the Big Crunch?

The fate of the universe after the Big Crunch is unknown. Some theories suggest that the universe will continue to contract until it reaches a singularity, while others propose that the universe will undergo a series of cycles of expansion and contraction.

What is the multiverse theory?

The multiverse theory proposes that our universe is just one of many universes that exist in a larger, constantly expanding and evolving multiverse. This theory is based on the idea that the Big Bang may have created multiple universes, each with its own set of physical laws.

Will life be possible in the multiverse after the Big Crunch?

It is currently unknown if life will be possible in the multiverse after the Big Crunch. Some scientists speculate that the conditions in other universes may be too different for life as we know it to exist, while others believe that the multiverse may contain a variety of habitable worlds.

Can we explore life after the Big Crunch?

It is currently not possible to explore life after the Big Crunch, as it is a theoretical event that may not occur for billions of years. However, scientists continue to research and study the universe, hoping to gain a better understanding of its fate and the potential for life in the multiverse.