Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Crunch

1. Jan 4, 2015 #1
    After the Big Crunch, will the universe or multiverse support Life?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2015 #2
    Well, considering that it is a Big "Crunch" and that the universe will have shrunken down to a point that all known physics disintegrates, I'd say no.

4. Jan 4, 2015 #3
    Then what about Tachyons?

5. Jan 4, 2015 #4
    Tachyons?
    I'm honestly not sure what those kinds of particles would have to do with the collapse of an entire universe.

6. Jan 4, 2015 #5
    I guess,Nothing! But there must be something like Tachyons having v=c... Right?

7. Jan 4, 2015 #6
    Tachyons are particles where the case of [itex] v > c [/itex] always applies. Their velocities are always faster than [itex] c [/itex] and they are forbidden from traveling any slower.

8. Jan 4, 2015 #7
    Oh Yeah, I forgot that... Sorry :)

9. Jan 4, 2015 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If they exist, they exist within the universe, and if there's a Big Crunch, the universe ends, along with everything within it. So the answer to your question remains "no", as Lambdaenergy said.

10. Jan 5, 2015 #9

martinbn

Science Advisor

Let me venture a guess. You think of the tachyons as having space-like world lines. And since the final singularity of the big crunch is space-like it might contain space-like curves i.e. tachyons. But the singularity is not part of space-time so the answer is no.

11. Jan 5, 2015 #10
    Thank you all for your answers! It helped me a lot... :D
    How to close this thread ? Mentors please close this thread...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook