1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big data in Physics

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    I am an undergraduate physics major and I am taking a course on Big Data analytics. For the semester project, our professor has asked up to take up any field that interest us and do a project in that. I want to do something related to quantum mechanics or particle physics. Is that possible at my level?(right now I am taking 400 level classes). Can someone please give me some pointers? I also need to know where I can get the training data from. Can I get data from for example the LHC or similar projects?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The LHC data is viewed as proprietary by the experiments, but even if it were not, each experiment has something like 30 petabytes of data. "Making your own copy" is not really practical.

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3
    I was afraid of something like this but is there really nothing else that might be open to the public? I don't even know how to begin searching for this. SImple google searches doesn't not seem to be giving anything definite. If someone can even tell me how to go about trying to gain this data, that would be great. I am open to any field in physics( but preferably quantum mechanics and particle physics )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook