Big Data in Physics: Quantum Mechanics/Particle Physics for Undergrads?

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate physics major looking to do a project in quantum mechanics or particle physics for their Big Data analytics course. They are unsure if it is possible at their level and are seeking pointers and information on obtaining training data, particularly from the LHC or similar projects. However, it is mentioned that the LHC data is viewed as proprietary and making a copy is not practical. The speaker expresses difficulty in finding alternative sources of data and asks for advice on how to obtain it.
Ananthan9470
I am an undergraduate physics major and I am taking a course on Big Data analytics. For the semester project, our professor has asked up to take up any field that interest us and do a project in that. I want to do something related to quantum mechanics or particle physics. Is that possible at my level?(right now I am taking 400 level classes). Can someone please give me some pointers? I also need to know where I can get the training data from. Can I get data from for example the LHC or similar projects?

Physics news on Phys.org
The LHC data is viewed as proprietary by the experiments, but even if it were not, each experiment has something like 30 petabytes of data. "Making your own copy" is not really practical.

Vanadium 50 said:
The LHC data is viewed as proprietary by the experiments, but even if it were not, each experiment has something like 30 petabytes of data. "Making your own copy" is not really practical.

I was afraid of something like this but is there really nothing else that might be open to the public? I don't even know how to begin searching for this. SImple google searches doesn't not seem to be giving anything definite. If someone can even tell me how to go about trying to gain this data, that would be great. I am open to any field in physics( but preferably quantum mechanics and particle physics )

1. What is "Big Data" in the context of physics?

"Big Data" refers to the large amounts of data that are generated and collected in various fields of physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics. This data is often complex and requires specialized techniques to analyze and extract meaningful insights from.

2. How is "Big Data" used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, "Big Data" is used to study and understand the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. This data is collected through experiments and simulations, and is then analyzed to develop and refine theories and models of quantum phenomena.

3. What role does "Big Data" play in particle physics research?

"Big Data" plays a crucial role in particle physics research, as it allows scientists to analyze and interpret large amounts of data from particle collisions and other experiments. This data is used to test and validate theories, discover new particles, and provide insights into the fundamental workings of the universe.

4. How is "Big Data" collected and managed in physics experiments?

In physics experiments, "Big Data" is collected through various detectors and sensors, which record the outcomes of particle collisions and other events. This data is then stored and managed using specialized software and computing systems, which allow for efficient analysis and processing.

5. What skills are needed to work with "Big Data" in physics?

To work with "Big Data" in physics, one typically needs a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer science. In addition, knowledge of specific programming languages and data analysis tools is necessary to effectively manage and analyze large datasets in the field of physics.