1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big future: Major choice

1. Aug 10, 2013 #1
    Hello!
    I am a senior high school student and althought I am planning to make an earl application for college I am still not sure about my college major.I am between Aerospace engineering, Naval architecture and maybe architecture. I am in Turkey and when I looked at the recommended high school courses for aerospace engineering I saw that ap calculus ,physics.But that is not how it works in my country we have just two options either scientific or litterature fields.
    I choose science but still not sure if the courses ı have taken are enough to study aerospace.
    I also wonder if aerospace engineering is very very hard because I see this everywhere.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2013 #2
    Are you looking at universities in Turkey or in other countries?

4. Aug 10, 2013 #3
    I wish to study in USA or in France.

5. Aug 11, 2013 #4
    Turkish high school goes up to grade 11, right? I think there is a new 12 year system but that is for people starting school at age 6 or 7 this year.

There must be a way for French or American universities to accept Turkish students. I guess you can tell if you are qualified by looking at what you are studying. Are you studying calculus?

I would still apply to Turkish universities. No matter where you live in Turkey it must be easier to go to Ankara and Istanbul than France or the US.

6. Aug 11, 2013 #5
    The importance of choosing a major right away is way, way overblown. I didn't even become a math major until I was mid-way through my second year; before that I was a political science major!

Don't stress, and if you can't make a decision, just pick something, get into school, and in your first year just take some core courses from a few different areas you like then see which one seems the best for you and the ones you don't like, they'll become electives that actually gave you some education. There is no rule where you have to declare a major then you're stuck there for 4+ years. Just be sure to find a school that has all the options!

Good luck.

7. Aug 11, 2013 #6
    ^
    Most universities outside the US require that you choose your major when applying, and changing courses is usually complicated.

8. Aug 12, 2013 #7
    Why is that? What's the issue as long as you meet the GPA cutoff to switch? I am also not in a US university and I switched three times. I'm not saying you're wrong at all I just didn't know it was difficult for some; especially considering what we pay in some countries....

9. Aug 12, 2013 #8
    The complicated part is many universities will make you start the course in the next intake...which is usually the next year. In Australia, and some parts of Europe, it's next semester. But you still start from scratch, though again, I hear that's not the case in Australia. I know someone who switched from commerce to finance, and the core courses were the same, so he didn't have a big problem.

10. Aug 12, 2013 #9

cgk

Science Advisor

In many places, especially in Europe, university does not start with general education. You chose a major when applying and then go full force for this topic (and some minor and a few general education requirements). For example in Germany, switching major is in many cases equivalent to starting from scratch; for example, if you started with engineering and intended to switch to physics, it might be possible that no credit can be transferred at all.

11. Aug 14, 2013 #10
    if you go to france, and you want to study engineering, you might want to look at the "classes preparatoires" its a 2 years post high school cursus which prepares students for entrance exams to the "grandes ecoles" (the Engineering schools are among them).

If after these 2 preparatory years you decide you don't want to study engineering (or if you don't get into the school you're interested into . . .), you will be able allowed to enter a Bachelor's degree in the final year of the degree. as you can see it's pretty flexible, and allow smart students to always land on their feet.

12. Aug 15, 2013 #11
    So ,major changing is allowed in Universities in US.But I still cannot be sure about how hard aerospace major can be . I had 750 on SAT math 2 and 740 on SAT math 1 and 800 in french .I am in the top%5 in the class. I am not a physics "genius" and I always hear it is a very hard major.And I also started to consider architecture.

13. Aug 15, 2013 #12
    can anyone tell if these numbers are decent/good? sorry but i'm not familiar with the US high school system. If you say you're in the top 5% of your HS. sounds to me like you're good and as long as you really want to do it. if you go to France, these 2 years of maths/physics/mechanics will help you figure out if Engineering at a top school is too hard for you.

you say you have a good level in french, right:
    check this out then: http://www.ecp.fr/home/Formations/C..._annee/option_mecanique__aeronautique__espace

14. Aug 20, 2013 #13
    So ,I have done some research and my choices are those which ones do you think are the best for aerospace engineering?
    -Princeton
    -MIT
    -Stanford
    -Cornell
    -University of Southern California
    -Georgia Institute of Tech
    -University of Illinois at Urbana
    -University of Notre Dame
    -University of Maryland
    -Boston University
    -University of Washington in St Louis
    -Rensselaer Polytechnic
    -Universersity of Syracuse
    -University of Virginia
    -Purdue
    -UCLA
    -University of Califorbia Davis
    -University of Califorbia San Diego
    -University of Califorbia Irvine
    -Worcester Polytechnic Institute

15. Aug 20, 2013 #14
    Neil Armstrong went to Purdue, Just saying

16. Aug 21, 2013 #15
    What can you say about UCLA ,uniersity of southern california, davis and irvine?which one is better?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook