1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Big gap between MS and PhD?

1. Oct 31, 2007 #1
    What do you do if you have like a 10 or 20 year gap between your MS and your PhD with respect to getting letters of recommendation? I would eventually like to get my PhD, but I'm pretty sure that a good deal of my professors will be retired by the time I'd like to go for it.

Are you supposed to stay in touch with a few professors as long as you have further academic ambitions, or is there some other way to get letters of recommendation, say from your boss or co-workers?

This is for a PhD in EE, and I will not be within academia at all. I'd like to just work on my PhD part-time in the future, no matter how long it takes.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think the standard thing to do in this situation is to get your employer to be your referee.
  4. Oct 31, 2007 #3
    A reference from a co-worker would be pretty much worthless I would think.
  5. Oct 31, 2007 #4
    A reference from an engineering supervisor might be ok though, especially since he is looking at engineering graduate school.
  6. Oct 31, 2007 #5
    Yes, definitely anyone in a position of authority would be good. But, having a fellow co-worker write you a letter would probably be about the same as having a friend write a letter.
  7. Oct 31, 2007 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have written no less than 5 letters of reference for co-workers to go to or go back to graduate school. None were turned down and I have gotten calls from the school asking if we have any other people who would like to come and get degrees because our people have been exceptional. I am not a manager in any way shape or form, so how can you say what you said above is true.
  8. Oct 31, 2007 #7
    Grad schools are looking to predict what wet-behind-the-ears undergrads will make decent researchers. Coworkers with whom you have been working on major professional projects for 10-20 years, who also hold graduate degrees...well, it's a whole different level.
  9. Oct 31, 2007 #8
    Well apparently I cannot, and I retract my statement! It is interesting to me though, that these letters are so valuable. Although I suppose if you have worked with someone for an extended amount of time, and you yourself are well established in the field, your opinion would be valued.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?