The Cobalt Bomb: The Doomsday Device That Never Was

• Thread starter Utwig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuke
In summary, the conversation discusses a video of the Russian Tsar hydrogen bomb being tested, its destructive capabilities, and the possibility of a doomsday device being created. The participants also mention the location of the test, Novaya Zemlya, and its effects on surrounding areas. There is speculation about the purpose of such a powerful weapon and the potential damage it could cause. The conversation ends with a reference to a fictional doomsday device in the movie "Dr. Strangelove."
Utwig
Hi,

A video link of the russian Tsar nuke being tested.

http://www.break.com/index/russian-tsar-hydrogen-bomb-explosion.html

Food for thought eh? wouldn't want one of those going off in a city near me.

Utwig

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is CGI.
the Russian test grounds at Novaya Zemlya are surrounded by mountains which aren't visible on the video.
All the pictures I've seen of the test are much poorer quality and from much further away.

But as you say a big bang - and that was only a third of the design yield. It was a fission-fusion-fission weapon but they left off the outer fission shell for the test, so it was only around 50Mt instead of the 150Mt possible.

One of it's main problmes is finding a city that is far enough away from you! Supposedly if used in most of western europe the full device would have damaged soviet territory!

Last edited:
Didnt they detonate that somewhere near the arctic circle? Or is Novaya Zemlya near the circle?

or does Novaya Zemlya mean Arctic circle? This one was 50Mt? Didn't they do one in the 80-90 range once?

tribdog said:
or does Novaya Zemlya mean Arctic circle?
Novaya Zemlya means new land apparently - it's an island off the north coast of Russia in the artic ocean. Basically a long way from anywhere - although ironically probably much more accesible to US spying than somewhere in the middle of siberia.

This one was 50Mt? Didn't they do one in the 80-90 range once?
This is the biggest known test (and probably the actual biggest - they are difficult to hide!)

The weapon's publicity yield was 100Mt (nice round number)
The test was 57Mt (they removed the outer fission shell) the estimated yield for the full system is > 150Mt.

Last edited:
oh, this was in 1961? it's the one I was thinking of. I knew russia had tested one that was supposed to be close to 100. Yeah, this movie is a fake I think.

You want to see impressive? this one was smaller, but it looks pretty awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that you get more damage with a bunch of smaller bombs than with one big one, and a better chance that at least some of them will detonate. The purpose of the big one, as I recall, was to be detonated high above the ground and have the emp take out communications nationwide. I wonder if that would even work now with current countermeasures. If not, it would explain why we never had a megatonage competition with the Soviets.

the purpose of the big one was to be able to say mine is bigger than yours. that's the only reason the Russian's conducted this test. they certainly weren't learning something new. I was under the assumption that while fission bombs are limited in size, fusion bombs are much more scalable and instead of asking how big it can be made the question becomes how big do you want it.

Large bombs aren't really worth it except for bragging rights.
For an airburst the damage radius is roughly the cube root of yield (since the energy goes into a sphere) with more accurate targetting you need much smaller devices.

Thermonuclear devices are pretty much unlimted in size if you don't have to carry them.
Making a large device that you can drop is a bit trickier.

The thread title sounds like some Asian language every time I see it

If you think that is a big bomb, checkout what the Soviets considered doing back in the 60's. They considered building a doomsday machine... at least, so the story goes.

I have heard a number of varations on what happened. By some accounts, Kruschev wanted to proceed with the project, but his military advisors thought the idea was mad and they talked him out of it.

Hi,

Even if its cgi, I still think the vid is pretty sweet. Must have taken a bit of time to produce, wouldn't want one of them to go off on a virtual city near me...

:)

Utwig

Ivan Seeking said:
If you think that is a big bomb, checkout what the Soviets considered doing back in the 60's. They considered building a doomsday machine... at least, so the story goes.

I have heard a number of varations on what happened. By some accounts, Kruschev wanted to proceed with the project, but his military advisors thought the idea was mad and they talked him out of it.
Wasn't the so called doomsday device, which though technically feasible was never built, a cobalt bomb postulated by Leo Szilard in 1950 whose half life was perfect for the widest possible dispersal in the atmosphere and so deadly to life planet wide?

Art said:
Wasn't the so called doomsday device, which though technically feasible was never built, a cobalt bomb...

Corbomite. :uhh:

From what I have heard, yes, it was to be a cobalt bomb.

Art said:
Wasn't the so called doomsday device, which though technically feasible was never built, a cobalt bomb postulated by Leo Szilard in 1950 whose half life was perfect for the widest possible dispersal in the atmosphere and so deadly to life planet wide?

Yes. It was on that basis that "Dr Strangelove" was based, no ?
Edward Teller joked about it: "method of delivery: backyard"

What is a "Big Honkin Nuke go Boom"?

A "Big Honkin Nuke go Boom" is a slang term for a nuclear bomb. It refers to a powerful explosive device that uses nuclear reactions to create an enormous explosion, causing destruction and devastation in a large area.

How does a "Big Honkin Nuke go Boom" work?

A "Big Honkin Nuke go Boom" relies on the process of nuclear fission, in which atoms are split apart to release a massive amount of energy. This energy is then harnessed and amplified through a chain reaction, resulting in a powerful explosion.

What are the potential effects of a "Big Honkin Nuke go Boom"?

The effects of a "Big Honkin Nuke go Boom" can vary depending on the size and type of the bomb, as well as the location and surrounding environment. However, some potential effects include a large blast radius, intense heat and radiation, and long-term environmental and health consequences.

Why are "Big Honkin Nuke go Booms" considered dangerous?

"Big Honkin Nuke go Booms" are considered dangerous because they have the potential to cause mass destruction and loss of life. They can also have long-lasting effects on the environment and human health, making them a significant threat to global security.

What safety measures are in place to prevent accidental "Big Honkin Nuke go Booms"?

There are strict safety protocols and regulations in place to prevent accidental "Big Honkin Nuke go Booms". These include proper handling and storage of nuclear materials, thorough testing and inspections, and strict security measures to prevent unauthorized access to nuclear facilities.