Seeing Mars as a Full Moon: A Hoax?

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Moon
In summary, there was a rumor that in the near future, Mars would appear as big as the full moon from Earth. However, this is not true and is most likely a misunderstanding or hoax. The truth is that even through a 75x telescope, Mars will never appear as big as the full moon does to the naked eye. This misunderstanding has been circulating for a few years now, but it is important to fact check and not believe everything on the internet.
photon
someone told me that in the near future we'd be able to see Mars as the size of a full moon from earth. later i read it was just a hoax. anyone else heard about this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Haven't heard it, but it's definitely wrong. Mars will never look as big as the full moon from Earth.

It means if you look at Mars through a 75x telescope that it will appear as big "in the telescope" as the moon does to the naked eye. Not a hoax just people leaving out important details.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my doubts about it being a mistake - its a repeat of a misunderstanding from just two years ago, spread by email. I think it's a decent chance that its another "Good Times" hoax.

the power of the internet in the hands of monkeys

Ya I got this email too.

Doesn't take an astronomer to realize it's wildly inaccurate.

1. Is it true that Mars will appear as big as the moon on a certain date?

No, this is not true. This is a hoax that has been circulating for several years. Mars will never appear as big as the moon in the night sky.

2. What is the origin of this hoax?

The origin of this hoax is unclear, but it has been circulating on the internet and social media for several years. It is believed to have started as a prank or a misunderstanding of a scientific fact.

3. Can Mars ever appear as big as the moon in the sky?

No, Mars and the moon are vastly different in size and distance from Earth. Mars is much smaller than the moon and is also much farther away, so it will never appear as big as the moon in the night sky.

4. Are there any special techniques or equipment needed to see Mars as a full moon?

No, there is no special equipment or techniques needed to see Mars as a full moon because it is not possible for Mars to appear as a full moon in the sky. This is a hoax and should not be taken seriously.

5. How can I distinguish between a hoax like this and real scientific information about Mars?

The best way to distinguish between a hoax and real scientific information is to fact-check and verify the source of the information. Hoaxes often have sensational or exaggerated claims with no credible sources, while real scientific information will have evidence and be backed by reputable sources.