Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BIG New Scientific Ideas?

1. Sep 25, 2016 #1
    I have to write an essay on a current scientific idea or concept that is still considered emerging or experimental. Does anyone have any ideas as to what topic I should write? I'm looking for more physics-related topics, and I've considered writing about the "fifth force," though I'm not sure that there's enough information to write a 500 word essay on.

Any ideas?? :D?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I think that quantum computers are a less hypothetical and more realistic subject. And there is more to read about it on the internet, that isn't questionable like "the 5th force".

4. Sep 25, 2016 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not? 500 words wouldn't scratch the background. http://arxiv.org/abs/1604.07411 is the preprint version of the study. You should also look at the Hungarian study, and many of the citations.

5. Sep 26, 2016 #4
    Quantum computers sound like a super great idea! I think I'm looking for more scientific concepts though. Do you have any ideas? I feel like the fifth force is definitely way too hypothetical.

6. Sep 26, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Well, I think quantum computers are very scientific, on the hardware side as well as on the software side with completely new algorithms.
    Other "more scientific" concepts would be dark matter or dark energy. However, nobody on earth really knows what they are.
    How about superconductivity and the efforts on the temperature scale? Or the various attempts on a stable plasma for fission processes? Or - again very hypothetical - why scientists don't expect an element 119 to be created any time soon.

7. Sep 27, 2016 #6
    In actuality, quantum computers is a substantial topic. But as this essay is for a Natural Science school type thing, I want to convey my interests in physics and cosmology. Like you mentioned, dark matter or dark energy would be a pretty good topic. A lot better than the fifth force haha

8. Sep 27, 2016 #7

fresh_42

If you do so, you should concentrate on one of the two as they are completely different phenomena. You can search here on PF for threads about them.

Or you can write about our cosmic address. (The little red dot is us,)

bild145.jpg

9. Sep 27, 2016 #8

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Quantum computing is an application of natural science, specifically physics.

Why would dark matter or energy be "better"? In fact, researching the former actually somewhat led to the paper linked above. There are currently experiments underway to test the hypothesis. It's good science, and a good way to see the scientific method in action - not to mention it's quite a bit more "emergent and experimental". (Read: more focused of a topic than either three of the broad categories mentioned so far.)

Just my opinion.

10. Sep 27, 2016 #9

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Dec 11, 2016 #10
    I know this thread has already died, but I did decide on an essay topic, that being the fifth fundamental force of nature. Below is a link to my blog which holds my finished essay regarding this topic: Edit by mod: link to blog deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2016
  12. Dec 11, 2016 #11

Evo

Sorry, we do not allow links to blogs, link removed, responses deleted, thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook