1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big-O and Θ question

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For each of these questions, briefly explain your answer.
    (a) If I prove that an algorithm takes O(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
    takes O(n) on some inputs?
    (b) If I prove that an algorithm takes O(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
    takes O(n) on all inputs?
    (c) If I prove that an algorithm takes Θ(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
    takes O(n) on some inputs?
    (d) If I prove that an algorithm takes Θ(n^2) worst-case time, is it possible that it
    takes O(n) on all inputs?
    (e) Is the function f(n) = Θ(n^2), where f(n) = 100n^2 for even n and f(n) =
    20n^2 − n log2 n for odd n?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand a few of these ( I think). Here's what I have so far:
    a) Yes, because big O is an upper bound and O(n) is smaller than O(n^2) it is possible some inputs have a big O of O(n)
    b) No, because if the worst case time is O(n^2) then some inputs must have O(n^2) if all the inputs had O(n) then the worst case would be O(n) instead of O(n^2)
    c) needs help
    d) if Θ(n^2) is the worst time its not possible it takes Θ(n) on all inputs, otherwise the worst case Θ would be Θ(n) rather than Θ(n^2)
    e) i did c_2 * g(n) =< f(n) =< c_1 * g(n) where f(n) = 100n^2 for every even n
    c_2 * n^2 =< 100n^2 =< c_1* n^2 which is true for certain n values, so its proven
    for the odd part i did the same thing, since you can drop the lower terms i dropped the 2logn part and just had f(n)=20n^2, then did the same method. Is this correct?

I don't understand what to do for c, i know that Θ is a tight bound upper and lower so i don't know if Θ(n) is possible. Could someone please explain this to me? And if you have time could you please check my other answers? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That just says ##O(n^2)## isn't the best bound, but it is surely a correct bound.

Remember ##\Theta(n^2)## is sharp. So the answer to c depends on whether it might be possible to use ##\Theta(n)## in this case. What do you think?

Correct. Unlike the situation for ##O(n^2)##.
    Once you understand c and d, I think you will see the answer to e is very easy.

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3
    I think I'm starting to get it.

So in c, having it take O(n) on some inputs would mean that it would have to be at least Ω(n). So it couldn't be Θ(n^2). And if that's correct I think I know how to solve question d.

Thank you for the help by the way.

5. Sep 12, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But if it is worst case ##\Theta(n^2)## that means it has lots of terms like ##n^2## or the theta order would be less.

6. Sep 12, 2012 #5
    I see. So I'm taking another crack at e again.

From what I understand, for the even f(n) = 100n^2 the Θ(n^2) holds true because all the terms in this are to the power of n^2. However for the odd f(n) = 20n^2 − n log2 n the O(n^2) holds true but the Ω(n^2) doesn't hold true because of the n log2 n. Since f(n) isn't both Ω(n^2) and O(n^2), then it isn't Θ(n^2).

7. Sep 12, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you are getting it now.

8. Sep 12, 2012 #7
    Couldn't have gotten it without your help. Thank you so much for clarifying it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook