How to Verify Big O Notation for (n^2 + 3n - 3)/n^3 = 0 + O(2/n)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to verify the equation (n^2 + 3n -3)/n^3 = 0 + O(2/n) using Big O notation. Big O notation describes the leading contribution to the rate of convergence of a sequence, often a sum of terms of the form n^a, with the highest value of a being the dominant term. The conversation also touches on the meaning of "converging with a rate of convergence O(b_n)."
JazzRun

Homework Statement

Verify that (n^2 + 3n -3)/n^3 = 0 + O(2/n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't have an attempt. I understand Big O notation, but I don't know how to verify this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the big O notation mean?

a_n converges to A with a rate of convergence O(b_n). Then you can write a_n=A + O(b_n)

JazzRun said:
a_n converges to A with a rate of convergence O(b_n). Then you can write a_n=A + O(b_n)

You still didn't say what "converging with a rate of convergence [itex]O(b_n)[/itex]" means.

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking :(

Big O notation tells you about the leading (that is, largest, or most significant or dominant) contribution to the rate of convergence. Often, the rate of convergence is a sum of terms of the form [itex]n^a[/itex] for some number [itex]a[/itex]. The leading contribution as [itex]n[/itex] gets large comes from the term with the higest value of [itex]a[/itex] because that term will generally be much bigger than all the others.

JazzRun said:
I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking :(

What does your book or your notes say?

1. What is Big O Notation Analysis?

Big O Notation Analysis is a method used to classify the efficiency of an algorithm in terms of its input size. It helps to understand how the time and space complexity of an algorithm changes as the input size increases.

2. Why is Big O Notation Analysis important?

Big O Notation Analysis allows us to compare and analyze the performance of different algorithms. It helps us to identify which algorithm is the most efficient for a given problem and make informed decisions about which algorithm to use.

3. How is Big O Notation Analysis calculated?

Big O Notation Analysis is calculated by determining the highest order term or the fastest growing term in an algorithm's runtime. This term is represented by "n" and the resulting expression is the Big O Notation for that algorithm.

4. What are the different types of Big O Notation?

There are several types of Big O Notation, including O(1) for constant time, O(n) for linear time, O(n^2) for quadratic time, O(log n) for logarithmic time, and O(n!) for factorial time. These notations represent the worst-case scenario for an algorithm's time complexity.

5. Can Big O Notation be used for space complexity as well?

Yes, Big O Notation can be used to analyze the space complexity of an algorithm. Space complexity refers to the amount of memory or storage space an algorithm requires to run. It is also represented using Big O Notation, with O(1) being the most efficient and O(n) being the least efficient.