1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big-O notation

1. Jun 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Prove the following subset relationships:
    a. [tex]Constant \subseteq Logarithmic[/tex]
    b. [tex]Logarithmic \subseteq Linear[/tex]
    c. [tex]n log n \subseteq Polynomial[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

O(1) Constant
    O(log n) Logarithmic
    O(n) Linear
    O(n log n) n log n
    O(n^m), m > 1 Polynomial of order m

3. The attempt at a solution
    a. There exists an c, k element of Z where f(n) =< C * 1, f(n) =< C log n for all n => k.

So to show that Constant is a subset of Log, I need to show 1 =< C log n, And I find a C and k that satisfies that condition right? C = 1 k = 2

b. C = 1 k = 1 then log n =< Cn = log 1 =< 1 * 1

c. C = 1 k = 1 then n log n =< n^2 = 1 log 1 =< 1^2

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2008 #2
    I'm not sure I can help but here goes.. for a, you want to show that after a while,
    f(x) = c <= log n.

Well easiest way is imo to do lim n->\infty C/Log N = 0. Not sure if that is a proof, so you might consider:

Log n = C -> 10^c = n -> for n >= 10^c, log n > c. // as log is an increasing function

for b, you can look at lim n->\infty Log N / N = 0. (or opposite = infitity) but proof wise consider you want to prove log n <= n for all n > some number.

If you look at the graph, this is true for all of them, maybe use induction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?